Our cat is weird

/ Our cat is weird #1  

Pilot

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 770, Yanmar 180D, JD 420 (not running), had a Kubota B6200
As a kitten, he followed us home "Can you keep me?" He likes to be vacuumed. And he likes to be thumped.

We were on a walk and heard a kitten crying from across the highway. Checked him out, about 12 weeks old, wearing a collar. Checked at nearby houses and they all denied owning him. Probably lied. He followed us home, a mile walk. Then stayed on the porch. Foolishly, we gave him some food left over from a previous cat that fed herself to the coyotes. For 2 weeks he hung around and my wife decided she wanted to keep him.

Like many critters he was afraid the the vacuum. We coiled the hose on the floor and gave him cat treats in the middle of the coil with the thing shut off. He got used to that. Then we plugged it in (a built in system, so it comes on when you plug the hose into a wall outlet) and it sucked while he cautiously went after treats lying in the middle of the coiled hose. He got comfortable with that. Then we attached the brush to the hose end, brushed him with it with the system off. Loved that. Then it was just one step to brushing him with the vacuum on. He loves it. Cuts down on the cat hair lying around.

Massage therapist at my chiropractor's office uses a "Vibracusser" on me. Has a big knob that thumps pretty hard. Works pretty well on tight tendons and muscles; I called it a thumper because that's how it feels. Turns out there is a massage tool called a Thumper. Has a couple knobs about the size of a golf ball and they vibrate pretty seriously. Bought one off Ebay. When I started to use it the cat seemed interested and now whenever I plug it in, he comes running, yells at me and insists I hold it out for him, rubs against it while those knobs thump away.

In the morning he sits at the bottom of the stairs and yells at us. After awhile his bladder gets just too full and he races upstairs to his sandbox.

One more thing. He can tell time. At about 8 pm, we often plop in front of the tube and toss some treats for him. He knows when it is 8 o'clock. If we don't head for the couch soon after, he starts yelling at us--which is what has happened this evening. I'm writing this, it's 8:17 and for about 10 minutes he has been pestering us. We have a grandfather clock--maybe he counts the chimes? Naah, he's not that smart.

He's weird.

Last edited:
   / Our cat is weird #2  
Pets all have their peculiarities about them, just like us people. I like the vacuum idea, how long did it take? I'd like to do it with my dogs seeing they shed so much.

/ Our cat is weird #3  
My cat too was a stray, she claimed us. Seems she loves that vacuum cleaner and my shop vac. Every time I turn it on she comes running over and wants to be cleaned. Weird Cats indeed. Pilot, I wonder if our Cats are related.

/ Our cat is weird #5  
That's just one of the many things that makes them so great! :)

Well, that depends on what it is. If my dog is throwing up something nasty that she ate then I don't like that one. Watching her play with a rock like a cat plays is funny though.

/ Our cat is weird
Kubotain,
I don't remember how long it took--it's been 10-12 years since we trained him. I know it wasn't long, maybe 2 weeks at most.

/ Our cat is weird
One more thing. When we decided to keep him we took him to the vet. He got the usual shots, etc. Next morning, as usual, I drove to work, 32 miles, mostly at freeway speeds. Wife called at about noon, asking if I had seen the cat. No, but I went out to the truck as I had seen him sometimes jump out from under it in the past. Opened the hood and there he was on a flat spot behind the battery, groggy from the vet's. All that noise & he slept thru it.

/ Our cat is weird #8  
Opened the hood and there he was on a flat spot behind the battery, groggy from the vet's.

Wow, I had a cat die in my car from doing that. The fan does not stop spinning. It was horrific.

/ Our cat is weird #9  
Wow, I had a cat die in my car from doing that. The fan does not stop spinning. It was horrific.

We had a neighbor who spent over a thousand dollars on a black cat named Midnight after he got in the fan and fan belt when she started the car one cold morning. He did eventually pretty well recover.

/ Our cat is weird #10  
We have cat also and I believe she knows she has it made.
Pet/cat can pull at your heart strings mean while they are training you for there use...indeed smart little boogers are they. :)