Our other towing vehicle

/ Our other towing vehicle #1  

artfull dodger

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 420 garden tractor
Here is a pic of our other towing rig. 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Larado. Every option but towing package and limited slip rear end/V8 engine. Has the tried and true 4.0L inline 6. I put a reese hitch on the back, transmission cooler and load leveling air shocks on the back. Handles our 7x14 with two large garden tractors, plus all the gear and plows to and from shows almost as good as my pickup and much more comfortable. Only thing I dont like is the 4 wheel discs are a bit undersized and stopping with a full load takes some planning. If I remember right, the dexter axle on our trailer is set up for upgrading to electric brakes, and I think its gonna get them in the spring. Whats really nice is while I can run in 2wd for fuel economy, I can also run in 4wd fulltime if its windy or rainy and have a much better degree of control over the trailer. While I can run in OD with my truck towing, the jeep cant do it on the highway if the full tailgate ramps are in the upright position, just to much wind drag for the engine, now if the ramps are layed flat and everything is tied down good obviously, then I have no problem keeping OD engaged at highway speeds. When we had the transmission rebuilt, it was beefed up to handle this, as long as it doesnt lug the engine. Cheers Mike
000_1522.jpg

/ Our other towing vehicle
I really need to get a new pic, its now sporting a brush guard with KC lights on it, KC lights on the roof mounts, no antennas on top now as it goes in a garage and has the correct clear fog lamps under the bumper. And a proper JD plate on the nose. Mikie

/ Our other towing vehicle #3  
Those Jeeps with the 4.0 are bullet proof. Now the V8 is another story. All our managers got them 3 or 4 years ago and I bet half had tranny/rear diff problems. It seems our company has a way of picking pigs. Before the Jeeps with the V8's they had the Chrysler 300M. They were junk. They now have Explorers and Caddies so time will tell.

Anyway, you got one of the good ones. My sister-n-law has one,4x4 4.0, and if it can stand up to her you are set.

Chris