/ Out of state Maine vehicle and trailer registration #1  

dave1949

Super Star Member
Tractor
Hanomag
   / Out of state Maine vehicle and trailer registration #2  
Wow,I had no idea you could do this.

/ Out of state Maine vehicle and trailer registration #3  
Probably thousands of trailers from 18' to 53' running around NY with Maine plates.

/ Out of state Maine vehicle and trailer registration #4  
I did this last year, after reading about it on this site, on a trailer and will do it again this year with my dump trailer. Simple and effective. Between property taxes and the constant increase bump in small taxes, like trailer plates, I cut where I can.

As far as warnings and trouble, I read some references to that but not on the Maine site I used. Some states do not like it Delaware for example.

Last edited:
   / Out of state Maine vehicle and trailer registration #5  
Being a proponent of small government, I think our State employees have better things to do then service scofflaws from out-of-state. No offense, Scofflaws.

/ Out of state Maine vehicle and trailer registration #6  
People try to save money where they can.
I don't blame anyone who wants to register a trailer in Maine for 7 years for what it costs for 1 year in the greedy state of NY.

/ Out of state Maine vehicle and trailer registration #7  
I did this last year, after reading about it on this site, on a trailer and will do it again this year with my dump trailer. Simple and effective. Between property taxes and the constant increase bump in small taxes, like trailer plates, I cut where I can.

As far as warnings and trouble, I read some references to that but not on the Maine site I used. Some states do not like it Delaware for example.

I got involved in local politics and when I saw the disregard local pols had about their fellow residents in the small 12k city I live in (spread out over 22 sq. miles) it was troubling. The attitude of "just put it on their property taxes" rather than trying to change practices does not sink in to the local cheerleaders. So I am more than happy to cut taxes when I can.

Which site did you use and did you ever get a hard time from anyone? Thanks for any and all responses.

/ Out of state Maine vehicle and trailer registration #8  
People try to save money where they can.
I don't blame anyone who wants to register a trailer in Maine for 7 years for what it costs for 1 year in the greedy state of NY.
What kills me, is that I can register a 2002 Caravan (that covers 10k miles per year never weighing less than 4200#) for 2 years for the same price as 1 year's registration on a 3000# trailer that MIGHT see 1000 miles per year and about half of those will be unloaded...

Aaron Z

/ Out of state Maine vehicle and trailer registration #9  
Being a proponent of small government, I think our State employees have better things to do then service scofflaws from out-of-state. No offense, Scofflaws.

The flip side of that comment is you should be thankful for the revenue. Very thankful.

/ Out of state Maine vehicle and trailer registration #10  
I've got 3 trailers registered in Maine. I dont care that much about the fee (it is cheaper), its just a huge pain in the butt to register every single year in MA. Ironically my trailers spend a lot of time in NH and Maine. I have not had any issues with it and know a bunch of others that do the same thing. I believe in MA if it's in the state for more than a certain number of consecutive days then it needs to be registered in MA or there is a fine.