Buying Advice Out of State Sales Tax Confusion

/ Out of State Sales Tax Confusion #61  
My city imposed a parcel tax that was so controversial the county refused to collect stating litigation was certain.

Me and about 40% of the property owners refused to pay and 2.5 years later the court ruled against the city.

It took another year for the city to make the court ordered refunds to those that paid...

Some called it a mini Tea Party revolt...

/ Out of State Sales Tax Confusion #62  
I didn't say don't fight what you perceive as injustice. By all means, if you think something is wrong, strive to change it. But, there are legal, honest, and ethical ways to do so.

If you don't like the tax law, or think money is being spent irresponsibly, then get involved in politics, campaign for "your person", write opinion and editorial pieces, hold demonstrations, Write letters to your representatives, etc. There is so much you can do that is within the bounds of the law, and that is much more effective at effectuating real change.

I'd be willing to bet that those that claim they try to cheat the government of taxes because of some moral opposition to the governance they are subjected to have never written a letter to any of their elected officials to express their displeasure with current tax laws. Even more, I'd bet most can't even name their congressman(woman), senator, mayor, or elected state representatives.

In other words, it sounds like a nice excuse/justification for not paying taxes, but it's just that. An excuse for poor behavior.

I know my congressman and senators on a first name basis, but they don稚 want to know me. I speak the truth they don稚 want to hear and those like you don稚 really understand.
What I do have a real say in as an elected township treasurer is that we don稚 spend money we don稚 have, just like the people who have to pay the taxes we say no to that feel good spending.

/ Out of State Sales Tax Confusion #63  
I know my congressman and senators on a first name basis, but they don稚 want to know me. I speak the truth they don稚 want to hear and those like you don稚 really understand.
What I do have a real say in as an elected township treasurer is that we don稚 spend money we don稚 have, just like the people who have to pay the taxes we say no to that feel good spending.
You're confounding two topics. 1) Views on taxes, and 2) promoting illegal behavior.

Despite what you say, I fully understand the ramifications of irresponsible spending at the local, state, and federal level, and have, and will continue, to strenuously advocate against it. I live in one of the highest taxed states, and locations, in the nation. Trust me, I am well aware of government misuse and waste.

However, despite my own, or anyone elses views on fiduciary responsibility, that does not excuse unlawful, unethical, or illegal behavior, which is what you were advocating.

/ Out of State Sales Tax Confusion #64  
You're confounding two topics. 1) Views on taxes, and 2) promoting illegal behavior.

Despite what you say, I fully understand the ramifications of irresponsible spending at the local, state, and federal level, and have, and will continue, to strenuously advocate against it. I live in one of the highest taxed states, and locations, in the nation. Trust me, I am well aware of government misuse and waste.

However, despite my own, or anyone elses views on fiduciary responsibility, that does not excuse unlawful, unethical, or illegal behavior, which is what you were advocating.

Ever deal fairly with a criminal? You will end up with nothing, if you do!
It’s a dog eat dog world and just because you think being ethical and playing the criminals rigged game is the right thing to do does not mean you will win. It would take a revolution to set everything straight and that guy who finds a way to keep some of his money by treating the criminal just like they would treat him knows you don’t have it in you to join together and stand as one so he does what he needs to to survive! Taking back what he can when he can and I don’t blame him at all!
Go figure, a way to correct it and be ethical about it at the same time and Get the people to pull thier heads out from under the rock they are hiding under and I will stop advocating those you judge as unethical.

/ Out of State Sales Tax Confusion #65  
Ever deal fairly with a criminal? You will end up with nothing, if you do!
It’s a dog eat dog world and just because you think being ethical and playing the criminals rigged game is the right thing to do does not mean you will win.

Yes, I have dealt fairly with criminals. Everyone deserves that basic dignity. Otherwise, you are no different than the criminal. That is, you've become part of the problem as opposed to part of the solution.

And, I guess that's the difference. I'm not concerned with "winning." I'm more concerned with treating all people fairly and contributing to society.

/ Out of State Sales Tax Confusion #66  
Yes, I have dealt fairly with criminals. Everyone deserves that basic dignity. Otherwise, you are no different than the criminal. That is, you've become part of the problem as opposed to part of the solution.

And, I guess that's the difference. I'm not concerned with "winning." I'm more concerned with treating all people fairly and contributing to society.

That is an admirable concept!
Unfortunately......it is generally out of touch with reality in today's world!
We are living in a me first society!
Me and her went.....wherever....
Nearly EVERYTHING & Nearly EVERYONE is ME first!

/ Out of State Sales Tax Confusion #67  
That is an admirable concept!
Unfortunately......it is generally out of touch with reality in today's world!
We are living in a me first society!
Me and her went.....wherever....
Nearly EVERYTHING & Nearly EVERYONE is ME first!
You're absolutely right. All you have to do is read this thread and you see similar thoughts. That is what I find so disheartening. How did society get to this place, or has it always been like this?

When faced with it, you can give up and join in the behavior (be part of the problem), or recognize even though it may open you up to abuse, there are more important things in life than "winning" (to use someone else's words), and choose to live an ethical life, and try to be part of the solution. I choose the latter.

/ Out of State Sales Tax Confusion #68  
It's the EGO in the human Animal, and I'm guessing it's always been this way. The EGO doesn't even care about you, nevermind others, hence addictions.

/ Out of State Sales Tax Confusion #69  
You're absolutely right. All you have to do is read this thread and you see similar thoughts. That is what I find so disheartening. How did society get to this place, or has it always been like this?

When faced with it, you can give up and join in the behavior (be part of the problem), or recognize even though it may open you up to abuse, there are more important things in life than "winning" (to use someone else's words), and choose to live an ethical life, and try to be part of the solution. I choose the latter.

A big :thumbsup:

I’ve known so many that boast of their “winning”, or their getting the best of someone, gaming the system, etc. I wasn’t raised that way thankfully. The one word that comes to my mind when describing my dad is Integrity. That word covers a lot of ground to me.

/ Out of State Sales Tax Confusion #70  
I have met VERY few people that had their integrity in order. If you can't even be truthful to yourself, then it's pretty much an impossibility. Some of the kindest, most spiritually oriented people have no integrity.