Out of wire - changing spool.

/ Out of wire - changing spool. #1  

BufordBoone

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L5740 & M7060
Ran thru my first spool of flux core wire (faster than I expected) in my Lincoln 210 MP.

Realized that there was a long tail of wire I had to waste. Didn't know if I could just pull it a little way in and then start the new spool or had to pull it all out and waste it.

Not wanting to chance messing up my machine, I pulled it out and threw it away, restarted a new roll and went back to practicing.

What says the community? When you run out of wire, do you waste what's in the gun or is there an acceptable way to use it up?

Edited to add: I was using 1 lb spools. I plan to go to larger spools to solve some of the problem. I think my machine handles 1 lb or 10 lb. Will look it up when I get home.

/ Out of wire - changing spool. #2  
Pull it out and toss it, it may push through but it would probably jam up in your liner.

/ Out of wire - changing spool. #3  
Always get the largest spool your machine can hold. I have a 44lb in mine.
I like to save the wire. Not for welding but for tying stuff.

/ Out of wire - changing spool. #4  
Always get the largest spool your machine can hold. I have a 44lb in mine.
I like to save the wire. Not for welding but for tying stuff.

You use flux core wire to tie stuff?

/ Out of wire - changing spool. #5  
You use flux core wire to tie stuff?

I was referring to mild steel filler wire. Sorry for not stating that.
Since I don't use flux core wire, im not sure if that would work???:confused3:

/ Out of wire - changing spool. #6  
That wire is waste. If you are concerned about losing/wasting wire manually rewind your spool instead of cutting excess wire- like setting tension, adjusting speed or forgetting/bad ground etc.

/ Out of wire - changing spool. #7  
That wire is waste. If you are concerned about losing/wasting wire manually rewind your spool instead of cutting excess wire- like setting tension, adjusting speed or forgetting/bad ground etc.
Flux core, maybe I don't know... but I tend to save my 'long' pieces of mild steel MIG wire for handy things like hanging items for paint, binding something that I don't want to use duct tape, misc art/crafts projects that wife might have, etc.

/ Out of wire - changing spool. #8  
I use the waste wire to tie off trash bags. For how much wire is there compared to how long the roll is I don't worry about it. I do use either 33 or 44 lbs rolls so running out doesn't happen that often.

/ Out of wire - changing spool. #9  
I use the waste wire to tie off trash bags. For how much wire is there compared to how long the roll is I don't worry about it. I do use either 33 or 44 lbs rolls so running out doesn't happen that often.
Running out isn't my problem either... it's more of accidentally leaning on the trigger w/o paying attention and maybe not hearing it because of other machinery making enough noise. :ashamed: :eek: :laughing:

/ Out of wire - changing spool. #10  
Running out isn't my problem either... it's more of accidentally leaning on the trigger w/o paying attention and maybe not hearing it because of other machinery making enough noise. :ashamed: :eek: :laughing:

At least when that happens (if I'm feeling cheap) I'll unclamp the drive and free up the spool and wind it back onto the spool.