Outdoor Cookin' Safety

/ Outdoor Cookin' Safety #11  
Charring is 3rd degree. Remember from 1st class 1st aid in your Scout handbook :D

1st degree is typically redness; a sunburn is 1st degree.
2nd degree is redness, blistering, painful
3rd degree is full thickness. Can have charring. Does not hurt so much, because the nerves are burnt.

I just happen to have the latest first aid merit badge book on my desk :D

Robert,

I became an Eagle Scout when I was a Freshman in high school. I'm not sure what Merit Badges that I earned, but know that first aid was one of them. The Marine Corps also had quite a bit of training on first aid. But I'm the type that does not remember details. I can remember how to do something, how it goes together and visualize it, but for the life of me, I have to check my notes all the time for small details and exact measurements.

From your post, and the condition of her skin, she had third degree burns. I really doubted it after thinking about what her face looked like when she got back from Germany. You couldn't tell from looking at her, and she wasn't the type of girl who would wear makeup. She had gone native and was wanting to become a villagers third wife!!!!

Eddie

/ Outdoor Cookin' Safety #12  
We used to have "Steel Beach Picnics" on aircraft carriers and would have 200 plus charcoal grills going all at once cooking steaks, sliders and rollers. I was always a bit on edge due to the fact that we had many fueled aircraft on deck and ship was always carring millions of gallons of JP-5 jet fuel.

mark

Navy 3
Pirates 0

/ Outdoor Cookin' Safety #13  
We used to have "Steel Beach Picnics" on aircraft carriers and would have 200 plus charcoal grills going all at once cooking steaks, sliders and rollers. I was always a bit on edge due to the fact that we had many fueled aircraft on deck and ship was always carring millions of gallons of JP-5 jet fuel.

mark

Navy 3
Pirates 0

I'd rather cook around any blend of jet fuel than around a plain ole car with gasoline in it. Its a lot safer.

/ Outdoor Cookin' Safety #14  
Late '60s in Alaska (before environmental awareness) I worked forest fires, and we were flown in in Bell Jet Rangers. They used to 'chute the drums of fuel onto sandbars or wherever they could and some drums cracked open. Since it might be contaminated, they'd burn off the jet fuel right on the edge of the river. I remember it being hard as dickens to light off, they usually used a propane torch or threw burning spruce chunks into the pool edge to get it going. LOTS of black smoke!
Jim

/ Outdoor Cookin' Safety #15  
Bird, you must use all your persuaviness and discourage your neighbor from ever throwing his hat into the "deep fried turkey" arena. This will not turn out well for them or quite possibly the neighborhood depending how dry the grass is. It may behoove you to "seat up" and get some type of fire break cut between your property and his. You may have educated him on the grill, but this sounds like a fella that has disaster following him around full-time due to a common sense deficiency.

John

/ Outdoor Cookin' Safety
Bird, you must use all your persuaviness and discourage your neighbor from ever throwing his hat into the "deep fried turkey" arena. This will not turn out well for them or quite possibly the neighborhood depending how dry the grass is. It may behoove you to "seat up" and get some type of fire break cut between your property and his. You may have educated him on the grill, but this sounds like a fella that has disaster following him around full-time due to a common sense deficiency.

John

Yep, I understand that, John.:D If they want a fried turkey, I'll let them use my turkey fryer with me standing by to supervise.:D