Outdoor dog house heater?

/ Outdoor dog house heater?
We had a rattlesnake crawl into our dogs' outdoor fenced area during the day maybe 10 years ago. All three dogs were barking their heads off at it coiled up in a corner of the fence. The rattlesnake was a very rare situation, but we have coyotes howling around us most every night.

I'm coming to the view that having the dogs inside with us at least during the evening gives us all more time for interaction although we have one that is a chewer and isn't to be trusted on her own.

Shelters vary in their construction. This one was built in the last 15 years or so and has hard surfaces designed for sanitation and cleaning, but very little effective noise reduction. 30 minutes of that noise level is hard to take, but put any dog with sensitive hearing into that kind of noise for 3 months, and I wouldn't be surprised at what it could do to even a well behaved dog.

That is something no one else has posted.

As for this specific shelter dog, the staff said she has been adopted by a couple who has some acres for her to run around. Apparently, the dog and the adopter/husband head butted by accident. The staff said the guy wasn't bothered a bit.

The staff thinks the adoption will be a good fit, and I am very much hoping she is going to a good home tomorrow after she is spayed at the vet's office.

/ Outdoor dog house heater? #45  
The shelter dog was adopted today. I don't know who the adopter was, but I hope she is going to a loving home. I may be able to find out more about the adoption next week.

Good news! She'll have a good life. Don't visit. Leave her to the new owners. You should go celebrate -- good luck all around!

/ Outdoor dog house heater? #46  
I'm glad you brought up moisture and ventilation because too much moisture can also contribute to respiratory illness in dogs.

The whole topic of providing adequate housing in both cold and hot temperatures is more complicated than I realized.

A dog house only has a hole in it for a door. Even if you hang a flap on it, it's just a hole. You wouldn't have a moisture problem . . .

/ Outdoor dog house heater? #47  
I would suggest using some sort of heat lamp, like one for chicken coops, but it will only really work if the dog house is properly insulated/elevated/waterproofed/etc.

/ Outdoor dog house heater? #48  
I may be adding a shelter dog shortly that I found out has whipworms and is supposedly over having had kennel cough so I will need to isolate her from my other dogs for several weeks. I'm thinking I will have to put her in a 10x10 outdoor kennel away from my other dogs that will have a roof and concrete floor, and be closed on two sides, but open on the other two.

The nighttime temps are in the 20's probably for the next month, maybe some colder spells in the teens.

I have a wooden 3x6 insulated dog house made of 2x4 construction with insulation in the roof and walls, and a couple of different sized dog igloos. The wooden dog house has a light bulb inside a metal coffee can for heat. The plastic igloo would be easier to clean for sanitary purposes, but has no heat. Both dog houses have clear plastic flaps over the doors.

Somewhere, I think I have a small plug in ceramic heater wall heater that I used some years ago when one of my now passed older dogs lived in the wooden dog house. He wasn't hyper so I didn't worry about him knocking a heater loose.

I am hoping someone has some better suggestions for heat. The dog appears to be a medium sized lab mix and is hyper House Painter Woodinville. My concern is finding a way to keep her warm safely.
My yellow lab is a garage dog. Right now she has an old couch she sleeps on, but because winter is coming I’m looking to build her a dog house she can sleep in that would be in the garage. My garage doesn’t get super cold, but on the coldest days it gets down to around freezing. I thought it would be nice to heat the dog house if possible in case she gets cold she can go in her house. Any ideas?

/ Outdoor dog house heater? #49  

This is the brand I use in outside insulated dog houses for mine for the past 15 years troublefree. I have the older style with only 150 watts thermostatically controlled with no fan but a dry insulated dog house with a proper door will be nice and toasty with this setup in the coldest temps throughout the winter.

Thanks for these suggestions. This particular dog has found a home, but I'm still thinking about how I might create some kind of isolation space for a future shelter rescue dog.

The shelter had a scare with one dog that tested positive for parvo (fortunately, it seems limited to the one dog), but that reinforces my concern that I want to have a safe space in which to quarantine any future rescues from our existing dogs.

Too many unfinished projects at the moment, but this is still something on my mind.