Outlets wired backwards

/ Outlets wired backwards #1  

Tdog

Platinum Member
Tractor
BX22
What are the consequences, dangers, problems that result from using outlets with neutral and hot reversed? All my outlets are wired that way. I've been redoing them, but haven't felt much urgency since the outlet works. It is a simple task to correct, except the house was built using 10 gage wire - - between the stiff wire & my arthritis, it is no fun.

Thanks,

Jack

/ Outlets wired backwards #2  
Little more info needed, first off how are you sure they are backwards?
Are they polarized outlets, with one slot bigger than the other?
Are they grounded outlets, with the round ground prong hole?
Are they 20 amp outlets, where one of the slots is t shaped?
What size breakers are protecting these receptacles, 15 or 20 amp?

Having 10 ga wire is strange, not sure if that's a safety concern by itself, as long as the breaker is not rated higher than the wire or receptacle.

As far as having neutral and hot reversed, not sure about electronics, but some appliances and lamps can pose a higher shock hazard, from what I understand.

JB.

/ Outlets wired backwards #3  
What are the consequences, dangers, problems that result from using outlets with neutral and hot reversed? All my outlets are wired that way. I've been redoing them, but haven't felt much urgency since the outlet works. It is a simple task to correct, except the house was built using 10 gage wire - - between the stiff wire & my arthritis, it is no fun.

Thanks,

Jack

Well, let's see. Someone needs to use a piece of equipment that requires the ground (has three prongs). They also need an extension cord, and only have one with the two prong receptacle. They know it will still work if they cut off the un-needed third prong, so they do so. They do not know that the outlet is wired backwards (and think it will be OK, even if they did). Now, the tool (or whatever) can malfunction, the protective ground won't be there, the outlet is wired backwards and the tool's enclosure is now electrically hot. Death is a possibility.

Fix the outlets. Oh yeah, never cut off that un-needed prong, at some unfortunate moment you (or someone you care about) WILL need it.

Last edited by a moderator:
   / Outlets wired backwards #4  
Just a sanity check: white (neutral) on silver colored screw and black (hot) on brass/copper colored screw.

/ Outlets wired backwards #5  
Hope you get them corrected.

This is why people push for building inspectors, I'm sorry to say.

/ Outlets wired backwards #6  

How are the circuits wired at the panel, i.e., did they reverse the white and black there too?

It's hard to believe a licensed electrician reversed the white and black and used 10 gauge wire.

/ Outlets wired backwards
Geez guys - - they are backwards. I plug the tester in & it tells me the common & hot are reversed. I shut off a breaker, pull the outlet & take a look. Sure enough the black is wired to the side that says 'white'. Pretty stupid, but consistant throughout the house. As i said, it is hard for me to do physically, but I'm plugging away at it.

I would still like to know the consequences of usuing the outlet with the common/hot wires switched. No one is cutting off ground prongs - - but I see what bigerten is saying.

/ Outlets wired backwards #8  
Geez guys - - they are backwards. I plug the tester in & it tells me the common & hot are reversed. I shut off a breaker, pull the outlet & take a look. Sure enough the black is wired to the side that says 'white'. Pretty stupid, but consistant throughout the house. As i said, it is hard for me to do physically, but I'm plugging away at it.

I would still like to know the consequences of usuing the outlet with the common/hot wires switched. No one is cutting off ground prongs - - but I see what bigerten is saying.

I didn't understand the ground prong comment either since it's irrelevant to your question. :confused::rolleyes:

The tester confirmed it's wired correctly at the panel. As others mentioned, the only issue would be one of polarity. Since you have not had any problems, maybe it's not an issue. Perhaps an electrician could comment....about polarity.

/ Outlets wired backwards #9  
Have all the other connections like lights been checked for polarity?

If the lights are backward you will have a hot wire at the light when the switch is in the off position. :D

/ Outlets wired backwards #10  
If the lights are backward you will have a hot wire at the light when the switch is in the off position. :D

Excellent point re: the wire that is switched. This is true everywhere there's a switch or a switched appliance, light, etc.:eek: