Outrage after NY paper publishes names of gun permit holders

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Outrage after NY paper publishes names of gun permit holders #2  
Outrage after NY paper publishes names of gun permit holders - CBS News

The above link takes you to the article. IMHO, This is has got to be the most stupid things a news media outlet has ever done. Ken Sweet

I disagree. Don't you think it would be useful to know if an unbalanced individual in your neighborhood had a permit for a semi automatic rifle? Why should that be a secret? In this case it appears just to be those who have pistol/revolver permits. I presume one can get lists of people with pilot's licenses or liquor licenses. Why should gun owners be treated differently?

I'd want to know if there was a gun in a house that one of my kids was likely to be playing in. I'd take the opportunity to ask the parents in that house how they secured the weapon. If it didn't meet my standards for safety I'd simply not let my kid go there. Why shouldn't I have that information?

/ Outrage after NY paper publishes names of gun permit holders #3  
Its a great resource for criminals. Now they know which homes DON'T contain guns.

/ Outrage after NY paper publishes names of gun permit holders #4  
A point that seems to have been missed in this article is that now people who have to steal guns, because they can't buy them, now know where to go. And all criminals have a list of places where they might be confronted by someone more heavily armed than themselves, and thus to avoid. This simultaneously exposes those who presumably do not own guns. So tell me again -- what was the intent of the newspaper that published the list of registered gun owners?

/ Outrage after NY paper publishes names of gun permit holders #5  
They should also posts who DUI's and who's not paying their child support.

/ Outrage after NY paper publishes names of gun permit holders #6  
Nice, now the nuts know exactly what houses to break into when no one's home if they want to steal a gun....

/ Outrage after NY paper publishes names of gun permit holders #7  
They should also posts who DUI's and who's not paying their child support.

I believe some places do. If I am not "misremembering" I think Massachusetts publishes the names of the top ten "dead beat dads" and it is certainly not hard to find stories on DUI in every local newspaper.

I do appreciate that all this public information has a downside to privacy as well but I don't get why the gun permit thing gets such a strong reaction when it is essentially public information anyway. I presume a criminal could get the information the same way that a reporter does. If a criminal got the info he would presumably, as many have suggested, avoid the home in question. How does that harm the individual with the gun permit? If anything it should be the unarmed neighbors who should be complaining (although apparently in NY you can own a Bushmaster without a permit so who knows who has what).

/ Outrage after NY paper publishes names of gun permit holders #8  
Our local paper prints the names of those who don't pay their property taxes on time. :laughing:

/ Outrage after NY paper publishes names of gun permit holders #9  
Shameful and disgusting behavior displayed by this paper.

/ Outrage after NY paper publishes names of gun permit holders #10  
Our local paper prints the names of those who don't pay their property taxes on time. :laughing:

So true. They put up a list of those who are delinquent on taxes in the post office here.

I found my name along with my dads on the list at the post office when my dad had forgot to pay the taxes on our shop that me and him are the owners of. xd

I thought he had paid them, I guess he forgot too. He paid them up after seeing our names on the list.

Chad

Status
Not open for further replies.