Over 70's: Do you remember your first pizza?

/ Over 70's: Do you remember your first pizza? #1  

stuckmotor

Tractor
AC WD 34 hp/3500 lbs MF 261 60 hp/5380 lbs
I'd heard of pizzas on TV and someone brought some frozen bread concoction back from the grocery store that might have been a pizza and baked it, I probably tasted that. Finally the first local burger chain that I remember added pizza to their menu. That was my first taste of what I call real pizza. I must have been around ten. Grits and cornbread were a different matter entirely.​

/ Over 70's: Do you remember your first pizza? #2  
I was maybe 12, was at a friend's house and we made it from a box kit that contained flour and a small can of sauce. I think we just put sliced cheese on it, no other toppings. Appian Way was the brand I think, and IIRC it cost 39¢. We started using the same mix at home, baked it on a cookie sheet, again with just sliced cheese for topping.
Don't think I ever had a "real" pizza until I'd left home.

I've never had grits, don't think I ever had cornbread until well into adulthood. Certainly not something my mother would have made.

/ Over 70's: Do you remember your first pizza? #3  
I remember being able to get a pizza in a box at the grocery store...it had dough, sauce and cheese...it was from "Chef Boy are you kidding"...!

/ Over 70's: Do you remember your first pizza? #4  
WOW. Being from the NYC metro area originally we always had pizza and the person making it and serving it spoke with a Italian accent. Ironically since I lived in a town that was predominantly Irish and Italian I never had a bagel until I was in college.

And it wasn't until I was about 33 that I heard of and ate Sausage Gravy and Biscuits.

Another funny story; my neighbor here in Central PA had never heard of Corned Beef that didn't come out of can until he was in his 50s.

/ Over 70's: Do you remember your first pizza? #5  
I remember it well; it was 1957, at a pizza place called "Sussy's", on North May Avenue in OKC. In those days they called it Pizza Pie. It was thick cheese, hot, and all of the skin peeled off the roof of my mouth. I never ate another bite of one for a couple of years, until I went with some friends to a place in Albuquerque called "El Sol". It was a supreme, or a sausage as I recall; with thin crust and I have been a fan ever since!

/ Over 70's: Do you remember your first pizza? #6  
And it wasn't until I was about 33 that I heard of and ate Sausage Gravy and Biscuits.

Another funny story; my neighbor here in Central PA had never heard of Corned Beef that didn't come out of can until he was in his 50s.
The only corned beef I've ever had was either from a can, or sliced deli meat from the supermarket for years. Hate to sound ignorant, but didn't know it came any other way until maybe 20 years ago.
I was probably in my late 40s/early 50s first time I had biscuits & gravy. Didn't feel like I'd missed much, don't think I've had it since.

Last edited:
   / Over 70's: Do you remember your first pizza? #7  
Pizza like most of us know it is really an American dish...order pizza in Italy and you likely won't recognize it...!

/ Over 70's: Do you remember your first pizza? #8  
I can't remember the first pizza I had, but as a kid, we had pizza from restaurants, frozen and from a box. The "stuff" in a box was just horrible and we did not buy that very often. Once was enough Frozen pizza can be ok, especially today, not so much back then. My kids, I don't know what is wrong with them, will buy those boxes with crackers, sauce and meat, and call that pizza. <puke>

Like many dishes, biscuits and gravy, grits, and corn bread, all depend on who is making it. :D We were in the middle of no where in TN on a hunting trip and we stop at the place for breakfast. It was a small house on the size of a hill and every one working there, all woman, seemed to be related to each other across at least three generations. The red eye gravy and grits were awesome as was the biscuits and gravy. The place had NO bathroom. When they said outback, they meant out back and we ain't talking Australia. :eek:o_O:ROFLMAO:

Decades later I was in a small town in NC in the mountains and stopped for breakfast. This place had a bathroom! (y):LOL: The town gets through hikers on the Appalachian Trail and I wonder if that was why the food was so good, so cheap, and so much. Got eggs, pancakes, sausage, bacon and coffee for a few dollars. Felt guilty eating so much food, that was sooooo good, for so little. (y):D

Later,
Dan

/ Over 70's: Do you remember your first pizza?
While making the pizza for todays lunch, I remembered the days before I even knew what they taste like. That's what brought on this thread.

There's at least one YouTube presentation on how to throw a pizza. One day, when there's a backup TV dinner in the freezer I might give it a try.

/ Over 70's: Do you remember your first pizza? #10  
I have some pizza dough in the freezer... Guess I should defrost it before I forget about it, again. :ROFLMAO:

YouTube has some great cooking channels. Far better than what was every on Food TV before it went down the drain with reality TV instead of how to cook.

Hmmmm, is that pizza dough in the freezer or is it dough for Scottish meat pies from a YouTube show I watched...... :unsure:o_O:eek::ROFLMAO: