Comparison Overall cab height influenced by tire choice

/ Overall cab height influenced by tire choice #1  

sandalwood

Silver Member
Tractor
L5460 Kubota
Currently looking at L4760 -6060 Grand tractors and trying to decide ability to fit in garage.

Specification page Kubota brochure for these models lists R1 tire size (not R3 or R4) and same table reports the following cab heights:
- 4760 (91.1 inches)
- 5460 (92.5 inches)
- 6060 (92.5 inches)

When I use the "Build my Kubota" function to look at tire options for 5460 and 6060, I get the following information:

R1 Front 9.5-16 - diameter 33.2 inches
R3 Front 29x12.50-15 - diameter 29.1 inches

R1 Rear 14.9-26 - diameter 51.8 inches
R3 Rear 44x18.00-20 - diameter 44.5 inches

R3 tires would appear to lower the top of the cab height by comparison to R1 tires.

Can someone tell me how to determine the height to the top of cab based on the above information?

Thanks

/ Overall cab height influenced by tire choice #2  
Well the rears are 7.3 inches smaller, I would subtract 3 1/2" from the numbers on the table for rough estimate. None of the numbers will be perfect anyway and if you don't have at least 3/4" calculated clearance I would be nervous anyway as there will be variances.

/ Overall cab height influenced by tire choice
I agree. A bit of snow or mud under a tire can turn a good day into a bad one very quickly when you damage the cab or garage door due to insufficient clearance.

/ Overall cab height influenced by tire choice #4  
Another little item that will change overall height. Having your rears filled or not filled. The difference is around 1.5 inches on my tractor.

/ Overall cab height influenced by tire choice #5  
My M4700 HAD a canopy:
8x6SAM_0797.jpg

I've 4 shops to park it in, do things with it:
outside-shops.jpg
As you can see the shop on the far right has a rather "standard" garage door.
But that is the one shop with my chain hoist in it.

I removed the canopy to trailer it from Alexandria Va. down to Mississippi.
20140427_103025.jpg

With the canopy off it fits in the small shop with about an inch to spare if the door is rolled ALL the way up.

Serendipity.

I may not put the canopy back on. A cab definitely would not fit.

To the OP - measure three times, you won't be able to CUT.

/ Overall cab height influenced by tire choice #6  
Sandalwood,
Those numbers you listed are real close as I went to a lot and measured a 4760, 6060 with R-4's on and I would say its pretty much right on. I have an eight foot shop door so I needed to know.

/ Overall cab height influenced by tire choice #7  
I guess I should say these were the cab models I was measuring, not rops.

One local dealer suggested that turf tires (regular R3, not LSW) lowered top of cab height by 2" for 5460.

Well it turns out that non-loaded R3s drop height to top of cab from brochure claimed height (? with R1s) of 92.5 inches to 89 inches - exactly as mikehaugen predicted!

/ Overall cab height influenced by tire choice #10  
Another little item that will change overall height. Having your rears filled or not filled. The difference is around 1.5 inches on my tractor.

oosik,

Thanks for posting the above. I did not know that.

Does filling the tire make it taller, or shorter? (I'm guessing shorter...).

Also, would you have even a rough percentage, or actual measurements, of what amount of difference one could expect filling the tires to make?

Lastly, I'm interested in turfs. Of the R1, R3 and R4 choices, are they all equally affected, in height, by filling, or is one type more susceptible to filling-height changes than another?

Thanks much for posting this.

My Hoe