Overhead Door Openers

/ Overhead Door Openers #12  
I have the side mount unit and like that the track for the door can rise the door to within inches of the ceiling. It actually goes up maybe four more feet before it begins to turn.
The track can also be put at an angle to hug the ceiling if your ceiling vault runs parallel to the door opening.

/ Overhead Door Openers #13  
I learned something when I built a garage in Anchorage. A neighbor built his garage and had the floor slope to the garage door. Idea being - all the snow/ice on his vehicle would melt and run out - under the garage door.

This proved to be a mistake on a few occasions. His garage was not kept hot enough and it was one of those times when Anchorage had a "Polar blast". The melt water would freeze right at the garage door. He stripped his opener trying to get the door open. His solution - run the garage temp up to around 80F. This would thaw the ice at the garage door - usually.

I had the entire concrete floor slope to a central drain. Especially from the garage door.

Never had a problem with a frozen down garage door.

/ Overhead Door Openers #14  
I have a Liftmaster unit on my 16x12 shop door-really like it. I have 3 of the units at my main house as well. It’s nice having the deadbolt locking mechanism-makes the doors feel more secure.

About the only thing I don’t like is the failure mode on the wall control- when mine have failed ( twice now)- they fail and the door opens, uncommanded. There have been fairly numerous complaints about this to Liftmaster but to the best of my knowledge nothing has been done. I addressed the issue by installing the internet gateway which allows me to monitor the door status as well as informing me if it opens or closes.

/ Overhead Door Openers #15  
Reading this thread with interest, it got me to thinking about installing a door opener on my shop I have not had the door on there but a few months and am already thinking about putting an opener on it. But it is a 12x12 rollup door and the abundance of options are confusing. Never had a powered rollup door before.
My shops roll up door has a Gliderol roll up mechanism installed inside the drum of the door. Works smooth and fast for over 12 years now. Easy install.

IMG_6487.jpeg

/ Overhead Door Openers #16  
I have had 2 of them for a few years now as my shop doors are too tall for the regular style coupled with the Hi lift tracks that go up to the ceiling so i don't lose headroom for the tracks. Liftmaster/Chamberlin I think. Seem to work well and yeah this style is common in commercial and industrial applications for a long time but have only really started appearing in residential more recently. They do require the door to have some weight still there in the open position or when they start to close, it may not move since it just unwinds the drum cable, essentially. I like them overall

/ Overhead Door Openers
But you are overthinking the stresses on the door. As long as the springs are set right.....winding the jackshaft cable and pulling from the bottom of the door is no different than simply opening the door by hand with the opener decoupled like when the power is out.
I suppose stress isn't the correct term. My main concern is, if the jackshaft continues to turn after the door is closed, the cables go slack and slip off the drums. The newer Genie models are equipped with spring loaded "cable keepers" which take up some of this slack but only to a point. It is critical that the down stop position is set correctly and that the setting is maintained accurately by the opener electronics. The same holds true for the open or up stop position.

The old Craftsman overhead openers used mechanically operated switches to control the open & closed stops. Once set, they rarely, if ever, needed adjustment. With the lightning storms we get and the frequent power surges, it remains to be seen how well these electronically controlled systems hold up.

/ Overhead Door Openers #18  
I suppose stress isn't the correct term. My main concern is, if the jackshaft continues to turn after the door is closed, the cables go slack and slip off the drums. The newer Genie models are equipped with spring loaded "cable keepers" which take up some of this slack but only to a point. It is critical that the down stop position is set correctly and that the setting is maintained accurately by the opener electronics. The same holds true for the open or up stop position.

The old Craftsman overhead openers used mechanically operated switches to control the open & closed stops. Once set, they rarely, if ever, needed adjustment. With the lightning storms we get and the frequent power surges, it remains to be seen how well these electronically controlled systems hold up.
Dont know about the genie.....

But yes the electronic stops are critical. But same for a conventional opener or you can damage the door.

But even if the electronics fail.....there is a cable slack sensor. The split second there is no tension on the cable, the door will stop and reverse.
As long as its installed properly, I have never seen a slack cable come off the drum on a jackshaft opener.
But even if it did.....it isnt any different than a cable coming off the drum on a conventional opener...which I have seen happen as well for various reasons

/ Overhead Door Openers #19  
I was planning on installing conventional overhead openers on my sectional doors but now I'm wondering if I should use the side mount openers. Do they allow the doors to be raised all the way into the overhead tracks so that the door opening is completely clear? I have barely any clearance with the tractor canopy on an 8' door opening.

/ Overhead Door Openers
I was planning on installing conventional overhead openers on my sectional doors but now I'm wondering if I should use the side mount openers. Do they allow the doors to be raised all the way into the overhead tracks so that the door opening is completely clear? I have barely any clearance with the tractor canopy on an 8' door opening.
The door must close on it's own by gravity for a wall mount opener to work. Fully open doors usually aren't an issue if they have been installed properly with the track sloped slightly toward the opening. Some doors with low head room kits can be a problem though.