Overheating 8N.

/ Overheating 8N. #1  

Nate Leinonen

Tractor
Ford 8N
Hello fellow tractor owners:

I have a Ford 8N tractor. My brother used it and said it was letting off steam. I ran it with the cover off the radiator and after a few minutes I noticed some circulation in the coolant. However, while I was checking that I noticed that the oil pressure gauge didn't move off 0. I continued with the cooling system: blowing off the radiator with an air compressor and checking the hoses and belts, which seemed good. The fluid seems to be at the right level: covering the fins, down from the top about 2 inches. I guess I'm most concerned with the gauge at this point and what I might try to rectify this issue. I probably let it idle for 5 minutes, but the needle didn't move. Could the 2 problems be related? Could I effectively flush out the radiator without taking it off?

Thank you for any advice, Nate

/ Overheating 8N. #2  
No oil pressure IS a problem.

Have you noticed this before? Or is this the first time it has had no oil pressure? It could just be a caulty guage, plugged line, or worn out engine. Either way, the problem needs corrected or the engine wont last long.

As to the cooling??? If it is circulating, it should be cooling. The 8n's were designed with an oversized cooling system that sould be able to provide adequate cooling even on the hottest days and hardest work.

There IS a thermostat that could be faulty. It (I believe) is located in the upper radiator hose. Probabally worth checking into. And I would still try to flush the cooling system. You dont need to take the radiator off, allthough it is better. But you can just remove the hoses and flush some water through the radiator. See what kind if any gunk you get out. IF it is bad, the entire system may need a flushing. If it isnt bad, that probabally isnt your problem.

/ Overheating 8N. #3  
verify oil pressure with a good gauge.. post back.

big problem of no oil pressure is more important than hot water right now.

soundguy

/ Overheating 8N. #4  
I agree.................no oil pressure on the guage gets an immediate shutdown til I get trusted guages to check it. Oil first, water second.

/ Overheating 8N. #5  
post back when you get that part handled