Oil & Fuel Overheating or bad gauge?

/ Overheating or bad gauge? #1  

ttener

Tractor
NH 33D
The second I turn the key to the on position, the oil temp gauge jumps to the highest green temp, right at the line for red. After running it a bit, it will creep into the red. I’m not too worried about it overheating since it actually only creeps into the red at operating temp, which isn’t a whole lot more than it shows completely cold. My question is, how difficult is it to replace the gauge? Could it possibly be the sending unit instead? Is that a difficult part to replace? Which one is the easiest/cheapest to start with for troubleshooting?

Thanks!!!

Tim

/ Overheating or bad gauge? #2  
Could be either the sending unit or the gauge or the wireing. Get the ohm spec for the sensor at a specific temp and check it. You could also ground the wire for the gauge and check for wire resistance

/ Overheating or bad gauge? #3  
Before spending any money, identify all the sender wires and make sure the all the crimmped connection are free or rust or lose. My go to tool here is a dremmel tool and small brass wire brush. I would make sure all the contact surfaces are clean, nice and shiny before I put them together.

Last edited:
   / Overheating or bad gauge? #4  
The second I turn the key to the on position, the oil temp gauge jumps to the highest green temp, right at the line for red. After running it a bit, it will creep into the red. I’m not too worried about it overheating since it actually only creeps into the red at operating temp, which isn’t a whole lot more than it shows completely cold. My question is, how difficult is it to replace the gauge? Could it possibly be the sending unit instead? Is that a difficult part to replace? Which one is the easiest/cheapest to start with for troubleshooting?

Thanks!!!

Tim
What oil? Engine lube oil or hydraulic oil? If you have an oil temperature gauge, you probably have an oil cooler. Make sure the fins are clean so air can flow through it and that the supply lines are not pinched so oil can get through.

Generally, the oil temp gauge circuit goes like battery, to voltage reducer (~5 V) to gauge, to sensor to ground. The gauge is likely a heated bi-metal type that indicates high temperature by the lowest resistance of the sensor and the highest current to the gauge.
Your circuit appears to be shorted to ground between the voltage reducer and the sensor ground or your voltage reducer is not working.

/ Overheating or bad gauge? #5  
Could be either. If the gauge needle has full range of motion, i.e. with key off it goes all the way one direction, then back to the green/red line when key is on, I would start with the sending unit first. Probably easier/cheaper too.

/ Overheating or bad gauge? #6  
These pages might help troubleshoot your issue

Attachments

• Temp sending.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 76
   / Overheating or bad gauge?
Awesome advice! Appreciate the info! Thanks all!