3-Point Hitch Overrunning Clutch Assembly and PTO Question

/ Overrunning Clutch Assembly and PTO Question #1  

zenwar

Tractor
Kubota L245DT
Gentlement and Ladies: I am the owner of a 1982 Kubotat L245DT. Not very knowledgeable about most things tractor. I was on the Internet yesterday and ran across one of the Orange Tractor Talk videos: Servicemaster Vic announced two things that I had not heard before: (1) he stated that the early L series Kubotas do not have an overrunning clutch feature regarding the PTO and that owners should thus obtain and use aftermarket overrunning clutch assembly on the PTO; and (2) if one had an older Kubota with a multi-gear PTO (my L245DT has first, second and third on the PTO) one should use first only and not use the other two gears at all.

I use--mostly--a disk and 5 foot Massey-Ferguson bush hog, mostly for food plot work. Rarely use anything other than the bush hog which employs the PTO but do use other powered implements sometimes.

Is there merit in these assertions from Orange Tractor Talk? (If these are dumb questions, I apologize). Would greatly appreciate any thoughts. Thanks and all best wishes.

/ Overrunning Clutch Assembly and PTO Question #2  
Does the bush hog try to "drive" the tractor when you try to slow down?

/ Overrunning Clutch Assembly and PTO Question #3  
There are some old tractors that ran the pto from the transmission input shaft and therefore an implements rotational inertia could continue to drive the tractor even if you pushed in the clutch. Baby Grands question is aimed at finding out if you have this situation. -- I doubt that you do. -- If you do you will need an overun clutch to prevent the dangerous circumstance. Whether you already have one can be determined with the pto engaged, by stopping in gear, turning off the engine and letting out the clutch. If the implement stops suddenly as the tractor lurches a little you do not have an overrunning clutch. Even if this happens it does not say you NEED an overun clutch. You need one only if the implement tries to push you when the clutch is in.
larry

/ Overrunning Clutch Assembly and PTO Question
Baby Grand, to my knowledge, no. I have never experienced any of the problems that the Tractor Talk video was addressing, at least as far as I know.

/ Overrunning Clutch Assembly and PTO Question
Thanks for responding Larry. Your response is most helpful, and I will try your test.

To your knowledge, is there any downside to using an aftermarket overrun clutch, "just in case?" I really appreciate your taking your valuable time to respond.

/ Overrunning Clutch Assembly and PTO Question #6  
Thanks for responding Larry. Your response is most helpful, and I will try your test.

To your knowledge, is there any downside to using an aftermarket overrun clutch, "just in case?" I really appreciate your taking your valuable time to respond.
Youre very welcome.

Yes; #]it adds length to your PTO stub and thereby some extra stress on the bearings and u joints, &]you may need to modiify your telescoping pto shaft if the added length interferes, &]in itself it is another component to fail, &]it costs money. ... If you dont need it its all bad. :wink:
larry

/ Overrunning Clutch Assembly and PTO Question #7  
There are some old tractors that ran the pto from the transmission input shaft

i would think more from the counter shaft.. but...

/ Overrunning Clutch Assembly and PTO Question #8  
A L245DT has an internal clutch on the pto shaft that I think is an ORC.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    25.7 KB · Views: 186