Overrunning Clutch on a Farmall 100

/ Overrunning Clutch on a Farmall 100 #1  

Ramon

Tractor
Farmall 100
I was talking to a guy that said he had an over-running clutch attachment on his 140. How many folks out there believe this is a needed accessory. I looked at the archives here and in YT and the reviews are mixed.
I have an old Bush-hog that I got with my tractor that works pretty well but doesn't have an over-running clutch. I didn't notice whether or not I was being carried forward by the momentum of the blades although it didn't seem like it. What I normally do when I want to stop
1. Depress the clutch and take the tractor out of gear
2. Depress the brakes and come to a stop.

Sometimes the blades keep spinning, but since I am stopped (using the brakes), it's no big deal except that I have to wait until the blades are done spinning before I can put the tractor back in gear.

Now is what I am doing bad for the tractor? It just doesn't seem to be an issue and it seems like I have been able to stop pretty quickly? Also, I talked to a guy at Agri Supply and he said that the other advantage of an over-running clutch is that if you hit something hard on the mower blades (rock etc), that the over running clutch will absorb any damage rather than the transmission? Is there any truth to that statement?
Thanks,
Ramon

/ Overrunning Clutch on a Farmall 100 #2  
You will be a lot easier on the tractor with an over-running clutch. As you point out, you can get by without it. But if for some reason you just want to stop quick, having the OR clutch will help. (I agree with Ken Sweet - your Agri Supply guy doesn't know what an OR clutch is, so don't go by what he says. It allows the PTO shaft to keep spinning faster than the tractor PTO, but not the other way around. )
After getting one, I wished I had been bright enough or knowledgeable enough to have gotten one a lot sooner.
Backing into brush to hog it up was the most useful place it came in handy. I could inch my way back with out going further into the brush than I wanted to go. It was much more difficult to control when having to stop be popping the PTO out of gear each time, while at the same time clutching and braking to stop tractor movement.
Besides being easier on the tractor, it was much easier on me. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Overrunning Clutch on a Farmall 100 #3  
Does your tractor not have live pto? It's built into a live pto on tractors that have live.

If not, then you are better off with an over running coupler.

--->Paul

/ Overrunning Clutch on a Farmall 100 #4  
<font color="blue"> I talked to a guy at Agri Supply and he said that the other advantage of an over-running clutch is that if you hit something hard on the mower blades (rock etc), that the over running clutch will absorb any damage rather than the transmission? </font>

He had to kidding, right /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif I think he may have been thinking of a slip or torqe limiter clutch rather than a OR clutch--Ken Sweet

Sweet Farm Equipment LLC *2 Locations In Central Ky + Our Website to Serve all our Customers Needs*

/ Overrunning Clutch on a Farmall 100 #5  
Ramon,

I used to have a JD M that didn't have live PTO. I'd borrowed a heavy bush hog that had a flywheel on the blades. Once you got that thing up to speed, it spun for a LONG time after you depressed the clutch.

I was using it in a big field, so it wasn't an issue. But if you back into places to mow or if anyone else is going to operate your unit, I think the OR clutch is a nice safety feature that doesn't cost a lot.

And the one time you need it and can't do your clutch/gear/brakes dance just right, you might wish you had it.

Just my two cents.

Ron

/ Overrunning Clutch on a Farmall 100 #6  
As many others have pointed out.. There may come a time when you need to leave your tractor in gear, and clutch ( reduce speed thru engine compression? etc.. or even a large downhill grade.. where it is not adviseable to take your tractor out of gear.. etc.

In any case.. tranny driven non-live pto's need an ORC.. it's cheap insurance.. and safe..

Also.. with the orc.. you would be able to shift back into gear even while the hog was spinning down.

And again.. as the others pointed out.. the salesman that you talked to must have been on an off day.. an ORC does not do anything other than drive in one direction.. and frewheel or ratchet in the other direction.. it does not act as a torque limiter or a shear device, by design.

Soundguy

/ Overrunning Clutch on a Farmall 100
So now I have the overrunning clutch. Someone I talked to mentioned that you could leave it on the tractor PTO or leave it on the implement but based on fact that when you install it, you have to drive this pin through the OR and into the PTO shaft, it seems like pulling it on and off will be a more major effort. Is there an alternative to this semi-permanent approach? My only concern is that I have some PTO implements that may have a difficult time hooking up as their PTO arms are too long and the OR pushes the hook up distance out from the tractor about 6 inches.
Thoughts?
Ramon

/ Overrunning Clutch on a Farmall 100 #8  
There are 2 styles - the roll pin type you got, and a little harder to find type that has the typical thumb botton connector like any pto shaft. Those you put on & off quickly.

We are such a wealth of info - after the fact, eh?

--->Paul

/ Overrunning Clutch on a Farmall 100 #9  
The hitch arms won't change length .. only the pto shaft may need to be shortened with the addition of an ORC or a slip clutch.. just have to check if you have the clearance or not.

As the other poster stated.. there is a locking collar/push button style of quick connect pto ORC.. as well as the pin and forget kind.

Soundguy