Flail Mower Oversized flail for undersized tractor ok?

/ Oversized flail for undersized tractor ok? #1  

Aquamoose

Platinum Member
Tractor
Branson 3520h
I’ve got an opportunity to buy a flail mower that’s just wide enough to cover the width of the tractor but what worries me is the pto requirements which is more than my Branson’s rated for. Flail is 40-60 hp and my Branson is a 35 (29 at the pto). It’s also a hydraulic side shift.

Is it still possible to use this flail if I don’t rush through jobs? I’d hate to miss out on this flail which is just the right width that I’m looking for AND is affordable AND is available.

/ Oversized flail for undersized tractor ok? #2  
It will work just fine. Probably won't be able to cut very dense stuff without bogging but just go a little bit slower and it should take care of it. It may surprise you as well and take a lot bigger cuts than expected. All depends on what's being cut.

EDIT: Also, side shift implements (flail, rotary cutters, tillers, etc) tend to have an higher HP requirement mostly related to the extra weight of the implement, specially the offset weight. Just a way to try to prevent people from running a implement to big and heavy on a small tractor and then flip it tractor on the side when shifting all that weight to the side.

Last edited:
   / Oversized flail for undersized tractor ok? #3  
You can operate the flail mower as long as you have a slow travel speed and keep the engine RPM at the 540 RPM PTO speed.
If you have heavy brush just slow down and either back into it and then drive forward to knock it down or just slow down to crawler gear and listen to the radio if you have one.

/ Oversized flail for undersized tractor ok? #4  
You can always sell it for more than u paid, in today’s economy too!!

/ Oversized flail for undersized tractor ok? #5  
I run a 62" 650lb flail mower on a BX2200, which is only 22 HP engine, and like 18 HP PTO. A few weeks ago I had to help a neighbor mow down 3' tall grasses on a 2 acre plot. The machine didn't even flinch. Didn't even open the rear hatch. Did a wonderful job at mulching up the grasses. I did it in L gear, but full bore on the treadle, so like ~4 mph. Plenty fast enough. I got it done in about 1 hour or so, barring any restroom breaks...

I also use it to mow my lawn occasionally as I bought it with the Y grass knives. Again, does a fantastic job that even my MMM rotary mower can't compete with. I can make my lawn look like a professional baseball field with the striping too, more so if I do cris-crossing patterns.

Generally speaking, if it will lift it, it will turn it just fine. Also, having a higher HP machine is fine and dandy, but it really puts more wear on the flail mower.

I love my flail mower.

As leonz said, slow down and take your time... Or as I like to say -- enjoy your flail mower!!

/ Oversized flail for undersized tractor ok? #6  
As long as your tractor can lift it, you can run it.

I have 2 implements that are supposed to be to big for my tractor, but I run them just fine. The biggest problem is the weight, the tractor is old and it struggles to lift them. The tractor PTO is 19HP and the implement calls for 30 to 50 HP. Just pay attention to how it's "feeding" and adjust your speed accordingly.

/ Oversized flail for undersized tractor ok? #7  
Oh yea! I'd snap that up in and instant--If I had the money. As already mentioned, it should work fine but slightly limited in cutting power. Don't try to mulch tree trunks with it. ;)

/ Oversized flail for undersized tractor ok? #8  
Aquamoose - how DO you find these things. I've looked for 30+ years and CAN NOT find any used implements. Everything I own was purchased new. BTW - did you buy the flail????

/ Oversized flail for undersized tractor ok?
Aquamoose - how DO you find these things. I've looked for 30+ years and CAN NOT find any used implements. Everything I own was purchased new. BTW - did you buy the flail????

Just constantly searching. One came up and unfortunately, it’s gonna be a long 7 hour drive one way this Friday. Yes, I “bought” it. Guy wouldn’t take a deposit, an old school virtual handshake was good enough for him. I’ve been searching & waiting for over two years. I have a commercial (rental grade) 4 ft self powered flail with knives I got years back (for the ATV before I had the tractor) but it’s difficult to mow in the underbrush so that’s gonna be put up for sale.

Just can’t wait!

/ Oversized flail for undersized tractor ok?
SUPER grateful for your input! If it wasn’t for you guys, I wouldn’t have bought it but now you’ve gave me reassurances (and good tips!). Gonna get it Friday and will post pics!