Oxygen regulators "popping" and losing ability to regulate pressure

/ Oxygen regulators "popping" and losing ability to regulate pressure #1  

Kyle_in_Tex

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD 4310,JD5420
I have 2 oxygen regulators right now that have the same problem. Victor and Radnor 250 series. I rarely use my oxy-acetylene torch set. Maybe twice a year. They won't hold the pressure setting and the pressure just keeps rising. The welding supply companies will only repair if you bring them the regulator. They don't want to sell you the simple rebuild kit. I guess there have been idiots who have messed up and hurt themselves after a DIY repair.

I know, NO OILS OR GREASE ANYWHERE NEAR OXYGEN SYSTEMS.

These guys sell the kit:
SR250 Repair Kit

My question is, what is the culprit? is it the small teflon washer that is split? Is it the diaphragm?

It sure is frustrating when you need a quick torch repair and it won't work when needed.

/ Oxygen regulators "popping" and losing ability to regulate pressure #2  
I assume you know this but some don't. Always screw the presure knob out before shutting down. That way when you turn the bottle valve to open it the pressure does not hit the regulator and pop things.

/ Oxygen regulators "popping" and losing ability to regulate pressure #3  
It is likely the diaphragm ruptured. Safest to let a professional rebuild it, but if you can follow a simple diagram and put everything together and in order, there should not be a problem with tear down, cleaning and re-assembly. Wear clean cotton gloves when handling any oxygen exposed parts to keep even skin oils from contacting them and never ever put any grease or oil on the oxygen gauge or any part of an oxy/acetylene torch assembly.

/ Oxygen regulators "popping" and losing ability to regulate pressure #4  
My question is, what is the culprit? is it the small teflon washer that is split? Is it the diaphragm?
If the pressure can be adjusted, but then keeps going up, I would guess that its the seat or needle is leaking. Or is dirty, and can't seat fully closed.

/ Oxygen regulators "popping" and losing ability to regulate pressure #5  
Probably blew the diaphragm. I have one that is the same. Was cheaper for me to buy a new medium duty one with warranty than have the old heavy duty one repaired.

/ Oxygen regulators "popping" and losing ability to regulate pressure #6  
Probably blew the diaphragm. I have one that is the same. Was cheaper for me to buy a new medium duty one with warranty than have the old heavy duty one repaired.

Same here.

Terry