Pacific Northwest - Forrest Fires

/ Pacific Northwest - Forrest Fires #171  
flyerdan I don't know if you are old enough to remember the Tillamook burn...

That was a bit before my time, and I moved here in '78 so I've heard about it of course. Our state rep Bill Post had a radio show prior to his election, and talked often of the old days of mills and timber. His FIL was a logger from the Roseburg area and knew the history quite well.
I remember the Goat mountain fire in northern Idaho in '66, we could see it from a ridge on our place. I quite enjoyed watching the B-17 borate bomber through binocs; as an 8 year old airplane nut it was a rare treat. Saw the same plane here at KSLE when it was touring as Sentimental Journey with the CAF.
Speaking of controlled burns, it was a few years later in n ID when the forest circus was doing a burn that got away from them. The running gag at local stores and cafes was they would sell them cigarettes, but not give them any matches.

/ Pacific Northwest - Forrest Fires #172  
flyerdan I don't know if you are old enough to remember the Tillamook burn back in the late 40's. . .but they really need to thin things out. . .tree huggers. . . :confused3:

You can be a "tree hugger" and still be in favor of selective burns and responsible forest management. Heck, I'd argue that if you really care about those ecosystems then you don't want these massive fires that have been happening.

/ Pacific Northwest - Forrest Fires #173  
You can be a "tree hugger" and still be in favor of selective burns and responsible forest management. Heck, I'd argue that if you really care about those ecosystems then you don't want these massive fires that have been happening.

vvanders, the thoughts of the present administration are so far off of good forest management. . . it is moronic to say the least.

/ Pacific Northwest - Forrest Fires #174  

I completely agree with this. Sound forest management can benefit everyone, including wildlife.

/ Pacific Northwest - Forrest Fires #175  
Sure, then call them out on those specific policies. You can't build a coalition of people sympathetic to your cause if you alienate them by calling them tree huggers. Polarization these days is bad enough without extra barriers thrown in the way.

Honestly, I think people on both sides of the color spectrum would be surprised how much they share in common if we talked more about issues. My father grew up in a heavily democratic area of the midwest but many of the things we are in favor of would be considered "republican" ideas lately. It seems like it's incredibly hard to separate social, fiscal and land management policy when everything is framed as us vs them.

/ Pacific Northwest - Forrest Fires #176  
I completely agree with this. Sound forest management can benefit everyone, including wildlife.

Yup, I have a fun time educating some of my liberal friends that hunters are really strong conservation advocates because they interact so directly with the ecosystems and understand what could be lost. There's a lot to gain by bridging that gap and working together, just takes people willing to get over their preconceived notions.

Last edited:
   / Pacific Northwest - Forrest Fires #177  
Yup, I have a fun time educating some of my liberal friends that hunters are really strong conservation advocates because they interact so directly with the ecosystems and understand what could be lost. There's a lot to gain by bringing that gap and working together, just takes people willing to get over their preconceived notions.
Ain't that the truth. I find it very frustrating to get in a conversation with someone that has no experience in what they are talking about... such as a city dweller trying to tell me what is best when they have never been to a national park.

/ Pacific Northwest - Forrest Fires #178  
The only reason he didn't end up in prison is he's a juvenile. An adult would have been convicted of arson and be looking at 5 years in the joint.

If you're old enough to start fires and cause that kind of damage..you should be in jail. I don't care how old you are.

/ Pacific Northwest - Forrest Fires #179  
If you're old enough to start fires and cause that kind of damage..you should be in jail. I don't care how old you are.
I like the idea of years of paying back by working in the forests. Much more productive than me paying for him to sit on his butt and maybe get a law degree to help him find a loophole.

/ Pacific Northwest - Forrest Fires #180  
Ain't that the truth. I find it very frustrating to get in a conversation with someone that has no experience in what they are talking about... such as a city dweller trying to tell me what is best when they have never been to a national park.

There is no talking to some people.....hunters are bad...they kill animals...I teach Wildlife Conservation in our Hunter's Ed. classes...hunter's perform a very important service...most hunters are strong conservationists.