Pads for BX25D backhoe & a Box Blade question

/ Pads for BX25D backhoe & a Box Blade question #1  

homey53

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota RTV 900, 2016 Kubota BX25 DBL
I have a couple acres that are typically pretty wet, but with the dry conditions we've had this year, I think I'll be able to remove some stumps from small trees I've take down over the last 3 or 4 years, with my backhoe on the BX25D. One concern I have is, even though the area has dried out some, the ground is still somewhat soft. I'm thinking when I put the outriggers down, with down pressure, they're going to sink pretty quickly. I was thinking of making a set of pads to put under each "foot". I am considering pressure treated, 2 X 8 planks, to come out close to 2 ft. X 2 ft. squares, with PT plywood, for both faces. Has anyone ever made something similar, and if so, how did it work?

And secondly, there is a 48" box blade for sale locally. It looks real clean and not beat up at all. Is $850 a decent price? The box blade is a "Land Pride" attachment.

Thanks,
Tom

Last edited:
   / Pads for BX25D backhoe & a Box Blade question #2  
I don't see why 2x8 planks wouldn't work for the BX25. It is not a huge machine. If the ground is that soft you might get the whole machine stuck?

As far as the box blade I would stay at around $ 500. That is just my opinion on it.

/ Pads for BX25D backhoe & a Box Blade question
Thank you for your reply. I've had the tractor out there with no problems on getting stuck. I'm just thinking that putting that weight on those small square feet without something bigger under them, I'm just thinking they'd go under pretty easil? Maybe I'm worried about nothing? Thanks for the input on the box blade, too.

/ Pads for BX25D backhoe & a Box Blade question #4  
BXpanded also offers larger pads, etc., to help with situations like that.

/ Pads for BX25D backhoe & a Box Blade question #6  
I switched to the bxpanded feet several years ago . They do help a lot, although they appear to be bending a little. If I didn't already have these, I would look into the even bigger ones from, if I remember correctly, Specialty Repairs in Canada. Or maybe it's one of the other aftermarket sources. If I ever get around to it, I'll weld a cross stiffener rib under each one. But they do work, and I just carry a couple of 2x6 scraps on the tractor in the wet season (most of the year) to spread the load more. If occasionally I lose one in the mud, it's no big deal.

I switched to the bxpanded feet several years ago . They do help a lot, although they appear to be bending a little. If I didn't already have these, I would look into the even bigger ones from, if I remember correctly, Specialty Repairs in Canada. Or maybe it's one of the other aftermarket sources. If I ever get around to it, I'll weld a cross stiffener rib under each one. But they do work, and I just carry a couple of 2x6 scraps on the tractor in the wet season (most of the year) to spread the load more. If occasionally I lose one in the mud, it's no big deal.
Thanks fp.

/ Pads for BX25D backhoe & a Box Blade question #8  
I have a couple acres that are typically pretty wet, but with the dry conditions we've had this year, I think I'll be able to remove some stumps from small trees I've take down over the last 3 or 4 years, with my backhoe on the BX25D. One concern I have is, even though the area has dried out some, the ground is still somewhat soft. I'm thinking when I put the outriggers down, with down pressure, they're going to sink pretty quickly. I was thinking of making a set of pads to put under each "foot". I am considering pressure treated, 2 X 8 planks, to come out close to 2 ft. X 2 ft. squares, with PT plywood, for both faces. Has anyone ever made something similar, and if so, how did it work?

And secondly, there is a 48" box blade for sale locally. It looks real clean and not beat up at all. Is $850 a decent price? The box blade is a "Land Pride" attachment.

Thanks,
Tom
Sounds like your having fun!! (y)(y)Regarding the box blade...$850 should get you a new one with $ to spare. Brand name makes no difference... 4' piece of iron on the back of a subcompact tractor is exactly that. Don't worry about wear and tear as long as plates and gussets are straight...you can always replace cutting edges/rippers and rattle can paint covers scratches. I'd keep shopping.

Sounds like your having fun!! (y)(y)Regarding the box blade...$850 should get you a new one with $ to spare. Brand name makes no difference... 4' piece of iron on the back of a subcompact tractor is exactly that. Don't worry about wear and tear as long as plates and gussets are straight...you can always replace cutting edges/rippers and rattle can paint covers scratches. I'd keep shopping.
Thank you.

/ Pads for BX25D backhoe & a Box Blade question #10  
Rubber pads are a factory option. They came with my used B26. Wouldn’t think they would help much on my hilly, soft ground but was surprised. Vast improvement on hard ground. The couple of inches of extra lift help too.
So impressed bought some NOS off eBay for the larger M59. One size fits both my tractors and all Kubota tractors I think. Same benefits but would like another 3” of lift. Leveling up on a hillside to use backhoe important.