Pads for BX25D backhoe & a Box Blade question

/ Pads for BX25D backhoe & a Box Blade question
Rubber pads are a factory option. They came with my used B26. Wouldn’t think they would help much on my hilly, soft ground but was surprised. Vast improvement on hard ground. The couple of inches of extra lift help too.
So impressed bought some NOS off eBay for the larger M59. One size fits both my tractors and all Kubota tractors I think. Same benefits but would like another 3” of lift. Leveling up on a hillside to use backhoe important.
Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

/ Pads for BX25D backhoe & a Box Blade question #12  
I don't see why the backhoe feet could not be put down on on anything you like... I've seen old tires used for the purpose. I've got pads on one hoe and the original steel feet on the other and both tend to sink too much..

The first time anyone uses a small backhoe to dig out stumps is likely to be an education. Take it easy on the hoe, it is easy to stress the backhoe too much when digging stumps. Expect to dig twice as deep as you thought it would take, twice as wide, all the way around, and still have to get off the hoe to chop & cut some roots.

On the box blade, for such a simple implement, they do come in quite a range of different quality. The heavier the better - always. For that price it should be noticibly more heavily built than a less expensive one, reinforced. Some will have a flip down back blade for pushing as well as pulling.

New or used doesn't matter much on box blades. What does matter is weight and strength.
rScotty

I don't see why the backhoe feet could not be put down on on anything you like... I've seen old tires used for the purpose. I've got pads on one hoe and the original steel feet on the other and both tend to sink too much..

The first time anyone uses a small backhoe to dig out stumps is likely to be an education. Take it easy on the hoe, it is easy to stress the backhoe too much when digging stumps. Expect to dig twice as deep as you thought it would take, twice as wide, all the way around, and still have to get off the hoe to chop & cut some roots.

On the box blade, for such a simple implement, they do come in quite a range of different quality. The heavier the better - always. For that price it should be noticibly more heavily built than a less expensive one, reinforced. Some will have a flip down back blade for pushing as well as pulling.

New or used doesn't matter much on box blades. What does matter is weight and strength.
rScotty
Thanks rScotty. I'm laughing to myself because I know what you said is very true. It will surely be an educational deal for me. Thank you for all your advice and info, on the box blade, too.

Tom

/ Pads for BX25D backhoe & a Box Blade question #14  
All the advice you're getting is good. And therefore I suggest an additional tool for your stump removal arsenal: a cordless sawzall with a bunch of pruning blades.
This year I added to the backhoe on my bx the steps from Specialty Repairs that mount on the stabilizer cylinders. What an improvement for getting on and off! They are really simple to install, and well worth the money. And if you are digging stumps, you'll be getting on and off a lot.

/ Pads for BX25D backhoe & a Box Blade question #15  
All the advice you're getting is good. And therefore I suggest an additional tool for your stump removal arsenal: a cordless sawzall with a bunch of pruning blades.
This year I added to the backhoe on my bx the steps from Specialty Repairs that mount on the stabilizer cylinders. What an improvement for getting on and off! They are really simple to install, and well worth the money. And if you are digging stumps, you'll be getting on and off a lot.

That's a real good suggestion. Even with the big JD310 pitted against small 8" and 12" pine and fir stumps, digging them out involves a lot of getting down with some tool to cut roots. Portable and battery powered sawzall and chainsaws are the answer.

For those with the larger, heavier TLB - from the M59 size and up - it is worth digging a hole on the back side of the tree and then seeing if you can push the tree over instead of cutting it down and leaving a stump. If the ground is right, the leverage may pop the entire root ball out of the ground. Doesn't always work, but sometimes worth a try.

On really big stumps I have dug around them until I'm down a couple of feet and then simply cut the stump off below ground level - ruining a chainsaw bar and chain in the process but less wear on the hoe. Backfill with good soil.
rScotty

I have the cordless sawzall. It's an older Craftsman, 19.2 volt, C3# powered. The thing is tougher than nails. Been through the wars and back, and still going strong. I don't know how it would compare with the new 20 volt ones from DeWalt or Milwaukee. I guess I'll find out when it dies. I didn't realize the guy in Canada made a step for the BX backhoe. I looked it up after I read your reply. I've had both knees replaced, and a couple back surgeries, so I'm not real nimble on my feet. Those are going to be a great addition. Thasnks for your help

Tom

/ Pads for BX25D backhoe & a Box Blade question #17  
I thought that was a lot for a used box blade; I bought my County Line 5' for about $600 around 2016. So I looked and am surprised it's now $1,200!!

I thought that was a lot for a used box blade; I bought my County Line 5' for about $600 around 2016. So I looked and am surprised it's now $1,200!!
Yeah, this guy has a Kubota BX 2370 with a Front End Loader and a 48 inch Box Blade (Land Pride) and he's asking $16,500 for the package. I asked if he'd separate, and he said he would, selling the Box Blade for $850. I haven't called the dealer yet to see what the new price is for one.

/ Pads for BX25D backhoe & a Box Blade question #19  
BXpanded backhoe ripper looks like it would be handy for stump removal for BX models. Tried to get them to make one for the B26 but no. Local company.

Have got a few used box blades with tractors over the years. First stop is at the shop to weld on additional supports. Agreed the heavier the better.
IMG_0936.JPG

A receiver hitch is handy.

/ Pads for BX25D backhoe & a Box Blade question #20  
I think you'll like the backhoe steps. And while you're at it, you would probably appreciate the step they make for getting onto the tractor itself. You just need one, on the left side. I got the flavor that clamps on, as opposed to the one that you have to drill holes for. Installation was simple, it's really secure, and it helps my knees. And the Shorts are a real pleasure to deal with!