Paint aluminum toolbox?

/ Paint aluminum toolbox? #1  

radman1

Elite Member
Tractor
JD 4520, Toolcat 5610, Bobcat S300, Case-IH 125 Pro, Case-IH 245, IH 1086, IH 806
Guy has aluminum truck tool box for sale. It is designed to fit on the side rail of the the pickup. My current cross-over tool aluminum tool box is factory painted black. Can I paint the used aluminum to match to match my black toolbox? How do I prep the surface? No spray gun. Would probably use rattle can. Doesn't have to look factory but want it to look good. Any suggestions?

/ Paint aluminum toolbox? #2  
Guy has aluminum truck tool box for sale. It is designed to fit on the side rail of the the pickup. My current cross-over tool aluminum tool box is factory painted black. Can I paint the used aluminum to match to match my black toolbox? How do I prep the surface? No spray gun. Would probably use rattle can. Doesn't have to look factory but want it to look good. Any suggestions?

Painted an aluminum tool box once.

I took to work and lightly sandblasted it with very fine sand. The paint really adhered well with no flaking or chipping.

/ Paint aluminum toolbox? #3  
very light sandblasting or sanding and then id recomend an etching primer like enduras "EP2C" they recomend a cleaner before priming but i think fresh sandblasting voids that. endura is exspensive though there might be other brands?

/ Paint aluminum toolbox?
Thanks for the tips. I will give it a try if the box is still for sale.