Paint Guns

/ Paint Guns #1  

bindian

Tractor
Mahindra 6520 4WD
I wasn't sure where to put this, so I put it here. I am rebuilding/repairing a 9 foot offset disc and I am at the painting stage. I need a paint gun to paint all the nooks and crannys on the underside. I have used numerous paint guns painting aircraft in the past, and I even owned a Snap-On Touch Up Gun. But now I need a good, cheap, home use gun. I'm just painting over the original yellow paint and also over someone's idea to make it John Deere Green. Add about 50 years rust here and there and you can see I will not be putting a sports car finish on it.

So, what home shop paint guns do Y'all use? What gun have you found to be a good cheap gun for spraying implements? I might not use it again, after this project, for 2-3 years.

Oh yeah, you can check out my progress here.
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachments/270878-amco-offset-disc.html
hugs, Brandi

/ Paint Guns #2  
Go to HF and get the purple gun there, I have had decent luck with them, they are cheap and work well. When done either clean it or toss it. Look for it on sale and use the 20%off. Painted quite a few things, including a few cars and they all turned out well. As always it is not always the gun it's the compressor and air quality that counts.

/ Paint Guns #3  
What size compressor do you have? I have a middle of the line hvlp gun and it requires around 10-11 cfm at 40psi. It will keep my compressor (3.2hp, 60 gallon) running nonstop when using it. If you don't have a decent sized compressor, I would not get an hvlp gun. I don't think they spray better necessarily, but much less overspray.

/ Paint Guns
Clint, Mike, and Bird.
Thanks!
I will be at HF when they open Tuesday morning. I will also cheak out Wallie World's gun. I'll also check out our new Northern Tools store, along with TSC.

I have a 230 volt 60 gallon compressor that pumps out 13.6 cfm at 90 psi. I bought huge amounts of CFM to keep up with my high speed (over 30 years old) air router.

I just checked out HF's website. I gather HVLP is high volume low pressure. The paint container, on these guns are on top. I need it to spray the underside of the disc frame with millions of nooks and crannys. HVLP's paint container will be in the way. I'll probably get this one........Air Paint Spray Gun $21.99 plus 20% off.

I wanna pick up a HF creeper anyway, cause I'm gonna need it. I'm also going to make a plastic tent to cover it AFTER I paint the disc. Seems the 1/2 inch hardware cloth I have in the full, continious ridge vent lets pollen blow it and down on to sticky stuff!
hugs, Brandi

/ Paint Guns #6  
I think that gun will be a good choice, Brandi. When they talk about air consumption, that's running the paint gun continuously, and maybe if you're painting a car, you might do that, but for most of us, you don't hold that trigger open continuously. I notice that gun shows operating pressure of 60 psi. I never used more than 40 psi myself. I assume you do have a pressure regulator on your compressor, and a filter or water trap of some kind.

/ Paint Guns #7  
yep.. i'd hit hf to get a gun.. if doing lots of out of position painting.. i'd get a gravity feed touch up gun with a top cup for that part. otherwise just about any of the 20-ish $ syphon or hvlp guns blow out paint just fine.

I paint plenty of tractors.. and a couple trucks. they look GOOD. i don't own a paint gun that cost over 20$ ;)

/ Paint Guns #8  
Brandi--skip Walmart and head straight to Harbor Freight. Get this one, get some disposable paint cups ( a must) and have at it. I thin my paint with acetone and often prime first with thinned Rustoleum Rusty Metal primer.
HVLP Spray Gun w/ Gravity Feed

Use 20% off coupon and you should have some way to trap moisture coming out of the compressor. I have done several threads on rebuilding harrows and sub-soilers, etc and made reference to this sprayer frequently. Try to search for some of them. It is one of the best sprayers around for a hobbyist, especially when the price is considered, and is often seen in high $$ body shops.

/ Paint Guns #9  
Here's an air chisel from HF and it's a winner on thinner steel.

Air Impact Hammer Kit

It isn't going to bust off 1/2" rivets unless you heat them first but for thinner metals like exhaust systems or rusty bolts it works fine. The short-shafted set can squeeze into a pretty small space and is a real help in taking things apart. There are several kits with long or short chisels so look at them all. I've owned mine for five years and used in a handful of times but each time i do I'm glad I have it and figure the $10 is worth it. $8 with a coupon.

/ Paint Guns #10  
ditto on the HF gun ... you might also want to check on their website to see if they are on sale ... usually they run everything they sale at least once a year for half price on there. The HVLP gun is what I get and its about $28 when its on sale. They also sell a mini touch up gun for about $18... I have painted a ton of equipment with those.

Self etching primer, industrial enamel, a hot plate and your good to go :)