Paint problems?

/ Paint problems? #1  

southerniltractor

Silver Member
Tractor
Kioti DK40se HST with FEL, Simplicity Landlord, JD130
Hello folks,

I'm getting really close to pulling the trigger on a DK40se HST. I see paint problems on the Bobcat forums, especially on the FELs. How is the paint quality on the Kioti line holding up? I'm buying this thing long distance, so I can't put eyes on the tractor.

Thanks,
Mike

/ Paint problems? #2  
The paint on my tractor was perfect. But the paint on the loader around the cylinders was flaking off. It looked like they shot it over oil or grease. Every 6 months I wire brush spots off, degrease and spray with Chevy engine orange...not really a big deal.

/ Paint problems? #4  
Mike,
I had some flaking at the hard 90 degree angles of the support posts and middle plates. The FEL is under a 1yr warranty and the dealer or any dealer can take care of the problem under that warranty.

I was too excited to double check it before I left the dealer to even notice. Saw it 3rd day home. Dealer took care of it when I took it in for the 50 hr service. I keep it in my garage so it wasn't exposed to the weather during that time b/w purchase and the 50hr.

Oh well, like M7 said, get a can of Chevy Orange and you'll be fine. Also, it is a tractor so you'll have scratches on it and etc. Just take good care of it and touch it up when needed.

Greg

/ Paint problems?
Thanks guys. I know it's a tractor, but as my wife is fond of saying, I'm a pain in the *** (for details)!!

Mike

/ Paint problems? #6  
My comment wasn't meant to be insulting or degrading, I just look at a tractor as a tractor. I don't get excited about implement paint, I touch it up, infrequently, like every spring, but then, my tractors and implements are for farming so they get used and sometimes used hard.

You reminded me that I need to sandblast the loader bucket on the M and repaint it. About all the orange paint is gone from the sides and long gone from the bottom.....:laughing:

At least Kioti can be rattle canned. Kubota orange is no such luck.:(

/ Paint problems?
No worries - honestly, I AM a pain in the butt at times! Can't wait to get thru getting prices and finally put the transaction behind me. This is the tractor I'll use the rest of my life, so it's a big decision.

On that note, this forum has been incredibly helpful in the decision making process. I grew up around farm equipment and used some really old tractors as a kid, but I've been in the military many years and have not kept up with tractors. We've got the farm, now to find the tractor.

thansk,
Mike

/ Paint problems? #8  
Here are some paint tech goodies. Pretty basic stuff and if you want more let me know,

In many cases equipment and certain assemblies are painted after being assembled. Some items have grease or oil in them and only minimal cleaning is done. Paint is not just a make it pretty product but it also provides asset protection from corrosion. Oil will prevent the paint from sticking and inhibit corrosion so if it is oily enough . . .

Substrate MUST be clean and preped for paint to stick. Fresh hot rolled steel has a black "crust" that is mill scale and paint will not stick to it for long or well!

Hydraulic fluids have a way of causing paint to come off. If you want to see paint peel check out Skydrol aviation hydralic fluid. If paint is Skydrol rated it will hold.

Sharp edges and corners have a hard time getting sufficient film builds as do the top edges of rivets and huck bolts. Commercial and industrial coatings have special agents to help with this.

There are multiple qualities of paint. Basicly you get what you pay for for the most part. a quicky lesson;

Good to Best decending T = Topcoat available U = Undercoat available

Alkyd Enamels - (T/U) Fast dry and cheap. Will chalk and fade over a few months in the sun. Not very sensative to contaminated substrates. Not very solvent resistant. Great in dirty enviroments. Never put on galvinized.

Acrylic Enamels - (T) Better gloss, durability and solvent resistance. Get many times better if hardened/activated.

Epoxies - (U) Super sticky undercoat provides great corrosive enviroment protection. Depending on situation it may be better than a urethane undercoat!

Acrylic Uretahnes - (T/U) Superior gloss, durability and solvent resistance. MUST be hardened or activated.

Polyurethanes - (T/U) Top of the line doesn't get much better. Must be activated. IMRON by DuPont!

A good paint store can match up colors and put them in aerosols. Kinda pricey but if your picky it is worth it. Also if you look aroung there are industrial coatings that are affordable (DuPont Industrial Coatings) that can be brushed and rolled as well as sprayed in multiple qualities. For over all work and bang for the buck check out Nason Ful-Thane.

:confused2:WAY more than you probably wanted but . . .

Good luck!

/ Paint problems? #9  
5030 I agree. When I picked up my new shiny DK I was more excited about the quick detach system which my CK didn't have. I swapped out the Kioti bucket for a Bush Hog bucket(way bigger), then the owner and I walked over to the pallet forks. He pointed to a pair next to the shop that had been sitting a while...the black paint was almost grey & flecks of surface rust here and there. He said, this is the brand and type but you will have to wait while my guys unpack one that doesn't have any paint faded. I asked if the faded one was new, he said "yes, but it's been sitting a while". I turned to him and said, "load it up a shiny one will look like that in no time". He kinda looked at me odd for just a half second, then smiled and said, "OK". It's been 3 years and that set of forks still looks like the day I bought 'em:D.

/ Paint problems? #10  
Just cause its a tractor doesn't mean it cant look nice. I had my old JD870 for 14 years, and i tried to keep it looking nice...not new but nice. When i sold it i was constantly getting..."i cant believe its 14 yo" comments. My new Kioti is washed and even waxed at times. I spent alot of $$$ for it and want it to stay nice. Its not being a pain in the *** or ****...its about keeping my equipment looking nice as long as possible. And id never say...its just a tractor.