Paint scheme for 135 late 60's

/ Paint scheme for 135 late 60's #1  

kburton

Tractor
Kubota L-35
I've just about got my 135 strpped down and ready to clean up before painting. Are there any good pictures of 135's that are known to have the correct paint schemes. And, are most of the sellers of MS paints pretty true to life colors. I don't care if this wins prizes but I'd like to think it's right and comes out looking pretty good. Another thing, the sheet metal was put together with various nuts, bolts and washers. What did the original exposed hardware look like? Was it painted or plated, hex or round or carriage heads?

/ Paint scheme for 135 late 60's #2  
Here's a few pics of various year 135's. Sorry I can't help with colors or hardware. I do remember seeing spray paint plus quarts and gallons at the local tractor store that actually say Massey Ferguson Red or Gray. I'm sure you can also get it at a MF dealer. I think if the can says MF paint the color will be pretty close to original.

Bing Images

Massey Ferguson 135 Pictures, Images & Photos | Photobucket

/ Paint scheme for 135 late 60's #3  
George the body of the tractor is Flint Grey Metallic. Then there is a Massey Ferguson Red. I used the enamel factory paint to restore a 1965 135 Continental. I used extra hardener to make it dry faster and it adds a bit more sheen. If I had it to do over again, I'd use an automotive paint color matched which will retain it's beauty longer than enamel. Rims are same color as the body. The wheel disc are same color as the body. There are hundreds of correct pictures of show quality 135's on Google. Good luck to you. It's a very rewarding project. Tractor supply has the enamel paint in either quart or gallon. The silver paint may have to be bought at a AGCO dealer.

/ Paint scheme for 135 late 60's #4  
I painted mine the same as my brothers 1972 135 (and his 1965 150 is painted the same way). From the front to rear flint grey metallic, red sheet metal, and wheel centers, sliver mist metallic on the grill/side panels, and the outer wheels. I didn't use MF paint so it's not exact.

j5w58i.jpg

Attachments

• 2hrem83.jpg
    2hrem83.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 781
Last edited:
   / Paint scheme for 135 late 60's
Thanks all. How much paint do I need? I think I'll order my paints on line. Does anyone have any experience with tractorpartsasap.com? There prices look ok.

/ Paint scheme for 135 late 60's #6  
I've had pretty good luck so far using tractorpartsasap. On mine I used 2 quarts of grey, 2 quarts of red, and 1 quart of silver Rustoleum (but from tractorpartsasap paint is probably cheaper by the gallon). Also get the hardener, and reducer, I used a on sale $20.00 Harbor Freight HVLP spray gun on mine. With the old style siphon feed spray gun you use twice as much paint because of overspray it puts out.

Thanks. I think I'll get the HVLP. I have a regular and a trim sprayer from long ago but I have another tractor and a pickup truck to do after this so it probably won't hurt to get one. The AG Specialties Coatings sold by tractorpartsasap recommend no reducer. I'm going to see my auto body buddy today. I should get some tips from him.

/ Paint scheme for 135 late 60's #8  
The new low VOC paints usually don't need any reducers/thinners. I used "old school" Rustoleum, and it needed to be thinned some, not having to mix in a reducer makes it easier. I still recommend getting the hardener, it makes the paint last longer, stay shinier longer, and makes the paint harder to chip, or scratch.

Matters of taste. Hopefully I'll get some painting done in the next few days. Temps are in or near 60. I saw a restored 135 with a black starter. It didn't look right. My gas tank has no rust but it's pretty mottled looking. Should I paint it and what color? What should I do to the exhaust manifold and pipes. I'm going to go with a vertical pipe and muffler? All for now.

/ Paint scheme for 135 late 60's #10  
I painted the gas tank on mine grey, when my brother repainted his 150 he used the charcoal grey metallic on the fuel tank, starter, generator, power steering pump, fan shroud (that's the way it was originally), and the exhaust manifold. I painted the exhaust manifold on mine grey also (most of the paint is still on it). On the pipes, and muffler we both used high heat silver paint. The only thing I painted flat black on mine is the radiator, and fan shroud. My fan shroud isn't perfect, and the flat black hides it pretty good. You could paint your gas tank flat black, you don't really see it anyways. To be honest do it the way you want, as long as your happy with it that's all that matters (I also agree a black starter doesn't look right).