Paint storage -how cold is too cold?

/ Paint storage -how cold is too cold? #1  

MTGreen

Platinum Member
Tractor
Deere 5220, Ford 1720, Deere Progator 2030
I just lost several hundred dollars worth of new paint in gallon cans during the recent cold snap. They were all water base paint both indoor and outdoor varieties along with some primer.
It got unseasonably down in the mid negative 20s here during the worst of it; and coming from the desert southwest it [stupidly] didn't occur to me that paint needed protecting in the winter time.

Obviously this cold snap is an extreme example, but I'm hoping to get some input on what temp paint starts going bad at?
And is oil based any different?

/ Paint storage -how cold is too cold? #2  
I’m not a chemist but does getting colder once it’s already frozen change anything? I’d say once it’s at it’s freezing temperatures it’s ruined.

/ Paint storage -how cold is too cold?
I’m not a chemist but does getting colder once it’s already frozen change anything? I’d say once it’s at it’s freezing temperatures it’s ruined.
I would agree but I think my question really is what temp does paint freeze at because I'm fairly certain it's a lower temp than water

/ Paint storage -how cold is too cold? #4  
Google says water based paint freezes at or at least close to the freezing temp of water which makes sense. Oil based can go colder.

/ Paint storage -how cold is too cold? #5  
I just lost several hundred dollars worth of new paint in gallon cans during the recent cold snap. They were all water base paint both indoor and outdoor varieties along with some primer.
It got unseasonably down in the mid negative 20s here during the worst of it; and coming from the desert southwest it [stupidly] didn't occur to me that paint needed protecting in the winter time.

Obviously this cold snap is an extreme example, but I'm hoping to get some input on what temp paint starts going bad at?
And is oil based any different?
It's water based paint. It's not flammable. Store it inside. I keep mine in my basement.

/ Paint storage -how cold is too cold? #6  
I found several gallon cans of lead based paint when we moved here in '82. Barn red. Was something the old homesteader intended to use.

I used it to paint one of my out buildings. The sunny side shows some fading - the shaded side is still bright and crisp. That out building was built and painted in '83.

Lord knows how many times that paint had wintered temps below freezing.

I've stored water based paint out in one of my out buildings and still used it. It still worked OK.

However - now I DO store all paint here in the spare bedroom in the main house.

One of my gallon cans has a price tag on it - $7.95. Boy - is that ever ancient history.

/ Paint storage -how cold is too cold?
The sunny side shows some fading - the shaded side is still bright and crisp. That out building was built and painted in '83.
There sure was a reason lead was added to paint. Lasted forever. I had a 77 Ford pickup that I sold around 2005 (& later regretted) that had the original orange lead based enamel still in great shape from the dry desert climate. The sun would murder the lead free 2 stage paint on my newer vehicles within 2-6 years depending on color (white lasted longest)

/ Paint storage -how cold is too cold? #8  
I worked at a manufacturer that stored 55 gallon drums of paint outside in an unheated shed (Nebraska). The paint lines were notorious for waiting until the last minute to call for new barrels. Purchasing couldn't figure out why the thinner costs skyrocketed in winter.

Doug in SW IA

/ Paint storage -how cold is too cold? #9  
Consider building an insulated closet, out in your shop or garage.

I have the space under the second floor steps enclosed, insulated, and I installed an exterior door on it. The water line enters this space, and my air compressor is also in there. So, they should be heated anyway.

That leaves a decent amount of room for any products that I don't want to freeze, which I do not want to house in the bathroom out there.

The entire space is heated to + or - 50F with a 100 watt light bulb, dimmed down to about 60 watts. (If you dim a bulb that much, it will not normally ever burn out).

Some people will not want to hear this, but, this space will not freeze with no heat at all, because it's completely inside the building. I have had a remote thermometer on it for years, and done lots of testing. It will flirt with getting in to the low 30's F, during the coldest parts of winter, But, water will not freeze in it. So, if you're really cheap, you can build it, and probably not even heat it.

/ Paint storage -how cold is too cold? #10  
Consider building an insulated closet, out in your shop or garage.

I have the space under the second floor steps enclosed, insulated, and I installed an exterior door on it. The water line enters this space, and my air compressor is also in there. So, they should be heated anyway.

That leaves a decent amount of room for any products that I don't want to freeze, which I do not want to house in the bathroom out there.

The entire space is heated to + or - 50F with a 100 watt light bulb, dimmed down to about 60 watts. (If you dim a bulb that much, it will not normally ever burn out).
I use trouble light bulbs to heat some dog houses where first responder supplies are kept. They are 130V and will last several years turned on constantly for about six months at a time. Years ago, I set up four 25W lamps in parallel to accomplish the same thing in some utility rooms attached to condos. If one burnt out, you would still have some heat left.