Paintball gun advice

/ Paintball gun advice #1  

AlanB

Elite Member
Tractor
NH 1925
My son has decided that he wants a paintball gun for Christmas.

Anyone have pointers or suggestions? Brands, or charachteristics to get or to stay away from?

I would like to stay in the $100 range, but would also like some quality and dependability and not sure I can do that in that range.

Kind of scared buying at the pawn shops etc. as I just don't know enough about the brands to know if I am buying a great deal on a wonderful one, or if I am buying the biggest lemon out there.

/ Paintball gun advice #2  
ANY of the Tippman's are good, and pretty much bullet proof.

/ Paintball gun advice #3  
craigslist.

there is like 3 pages full of paintball stuff in the stlouis area.

im wanting a setup and will likely go HPA as i can fill the bottles at the fire house... a perk of being a volinteer.

/ Paintball gun advice
Thanks guys, looks like I am going with a Tippman platinum something or another from a local shop. A step or two above the Tippman at Wal-mart, with the value added of some back up if I have problems (and a 12 year old running through the woods playing war with this thing makes me think of problems.)

I tried Craig's list but a search on Nashville came up with 1 hit and it was top of the line stuff, HPA type stuff I think.

I am going to go CO2 route as I have an avenue to recharge them.

Going down tonight to scratch my head a bit more and make sure I have it straight. There are so many relatively minor variations on the Tippman stuff I have a tough time keeping it straight as to what I am looking at and comparing apples to apples.

/ Paintball gun advice #5  
Good luck. I am 52, my wife is 53 and my girls are 18 and 22 years old and we all enjoy painball very much. It is a great sport.

/ Paintball gun advice #6  
Get a spyder clone.. lots of parts and accessories.

past that for extra $$.. an autococker..

soundguy

/ Paintball gun advice #7  
I say go with a Tippman. Very popular and tuff.

/ Paintball gun advice #8  
man, i haven't played in years.......it was still probably the funnest sport i ever played........great times with friends

/ Paintball gun advice #9  
Last time i played seriously, ranges all used mirage equipment, and spyder's were the popular upgrade gun.. the cheap-o stuff was brass eagle.. now you can get tippman at box stores.. go figure!

soundguy

/ Paintball gun advice #10  
struck out on CL? wow

FYI

classifieds - craigslist

if your interested and find something interesting ill purchase in person and ship to ya if you want.