Painting a Pipe Fence

/ Painting a Pipe Fence #1  

W5FL

Veteran Member
Tractor
TYM T-1104/TX10 Loader Kubota M6800SD/LA1002 Loader Kubota RTV900
When I first built this fence, I used a rust converter that went on clear (or white) and dried to a black color over a few days originally and then put a second coat of acrylic green paint over that. That seemed to work well. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

After about 5 years, the rust is coming through the paint heavy at the top (sunshine, I guess) and the entire pipe fence needs to be repainted. /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif

The fence is also covered with a 2x4 no climb horse wire mesh, so the paint will have to be sprayed.

I have a heavy duty airless powered by a 5000Watt Generator, but all I can get from paint companies is that their paint is better than anyone else.

Tractor Supply also has everything from an asphalt based paint ot tractor implement paint (expensive) but has no idea how well they work.

I have found a Jones Blair paint in 5 gallon containers $75.35 per 5 gallon bucket for their Rust-Not in a Gloss Black.

Any suggestions appreciated for long lasting paint for use in painting this fence. I cannot remove the fence material to paint the 2 3/8 pipe posts and top rail, so not much preparation is possible. Prefer a one coat spray application product as there are 4000 linear feet to paint.

/ Painting a Pipe Fence #2  
This isn't really an answer towards your paint question, but it may help with treating the rust on the fence before you paint.
Gemplers <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.gemplers.com/>http://www.gemplers.com/</A> Has a rust converter that seems to work very well. It may be a similar product as what you used before.

/ Painting a Pipe Fence #3  
Dang, Wen, where you been? I don't have an answer about the paints, but glad to know you're still around. Welcome back!

/ Painting a Pipe Fence
Hi, Bird

Sure wish there were 48 hours in a day and maybe I could get everything done. Spring is a busy time. Had hoped to spray my Coastal field tomorrow, but weatherman can't make up their mind if there are enough hours to kill the weeds before the rains come again. The liquid fertilizer don't care, but nice if you can put them out together.

I was tilling to plant cantalopes when the rain and hailstorm hit the other day. By the time I got to the barn, I was soaked. The hail hitting the tin roof sure made a deafing sound. Sure washed the tractor good, but needed the 4WD to get it back to the barn after the rain. Just got up 800 foot of 5 ft no-climb horsefence, made a 2 piece 16 foot gate, and now I would like to paint the rest of the top-rail before the summer gets too hot to touch the metal fence. The ol M6800 Kubota is still doing fine and makes a nice sky-hook while stretching fence. When things slow down around here, I will try to get back on the board again. Have a good day.

/ Painting a Pipe Fence #5  
The best rust converter I have ever used is called Rust Morte. I get it at the local auto body repair supply shop. It's clear and like water and turns the rust to black. Once you paint over it, it lasts quite a long time. The down side is that it ain't cheap.

I might also offer a bit of warning. My neighbor recently bought (4) 5 gallon buckets of fence paint from Tractor Supply. After he got it home he read the application instructions and it said "Not recommended for spray application". I'm not sure why that is but keep an eye out. Of course this may be true of other paints as well. Good luck!

/ Painting a Pipe Fence
Thanks Tony.

The rust converter I bought had a clear type paint consistency and cost about $42 a gallon (expensive). I thought it worked well, but due to the nature of the way it works, I would not want to put that stuff in my spray gun and put it all on with either a brush or roller - 4000 linear feet.

I suspect your friend bought the asphalt based fence paint. I saw a pipe fence go up a couple of miles from me around a multi-million dollar rural lot sub-division. I stopped and talked to the guys painting it. They knew less that I did and were simply painting over the rust (It was probably new pipe with only light rust where mine is old oil-field rusted pipe) with a cheap red-oxide primer. They ran out of that and simply used a latex primer on about half of it. The finish coat was put on by hand and was the asphalt based fence paint.

Fortunately for them, once they get paid, they probably don't have much interest in how permanent their paint job turns out to be, where I have to live with the results.

I just can't figure out what the difference is between $12 a gallon and $40 a gallon paint intended for one coat rust-protection is. I guess I should be looking for a PAINT-BY-NET but haven't found much practical information on the subject.

/ Painting a Pipe Fence #7  
/w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif wen /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif is it really you /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Sure missed you!!

/ Painting a Pipe Fence #8  
wen,
I use the gemplers rust converter previously mentioned on all my implements with good success. Then I top with oil based aluminum roof paint which can be sprayed from an airless. Think 5 gal cost about $75. I did my barn roofs last year and had a gal left over so I started using it on my rusted implements. Pretty happy with it so far and it's designed to go right over light rust so if you use a converter first that's even better.

/ Painting a Pipe Fence #9  
Wen,

Sounds like you have been busy, which is no surprise. Sure nice to hear from you again.

MarkV

/ Painting a Pipe Fence
I bought a 4 inch cupped wire brush that fits on a 6000 rpm grinder to try to remove the rust. Since I only have 4000 linear feet to go!!!

Is there a better way???

I am planning to spray the fence since it has the 2x4 inch no climb horse wire tied to the pipe fence, so a mitt is out of the question.

They rent sandblasters that run on a gasoline engine ( I have a 5000 watt powerplant that will run a 200 Volt compressor) but how fast and expensive is sandblasting to clean rusty pipe and chalked paint just well enough to re-coat?