Painting battery acid corrosion?

/ Painting battery acid corrosion? #21  
Tractorganic said:
Well the painter read the label on the NH chasis gray and it made no mention of requiring primer. He used about 2/3 of the $5.69 can and it looks good. !

Well.. i find that odd. I've not used the chassie grey.. only the sheetmetal blue. And AFAIK.. it reccomended a primer.

Of course.. it may be a common sense issue.. like the manufacturer of a pair of jeans not mentioning to put on underwear first.. ( it's assumed.. etc.. )

having painted 9-10 tractors and quite a few implements int he last few years.. i can honestly say that i wouldn't try to paint without a primer. Coverage is better. Uniformity is better. Some primers offer chemical rust conversion / protection, and superior metal adhesion. It's also one more layer of protection between your metal and mother nature. once the primer is sealed by the paint first coat.. it all adds up. Just my .02$

Your tractor.. you do what you want with it.. good luck on the finish.

Soundguy

Soundguy

/ Painting battery acid corrosion? #22  
I don't think King Kutter uses any primer on their implements either. :rolleyes: You can really tell a few months later......

/ Painting battery acid corrosion? #24  
PineRidge said:
I don't think King Kutter uses any primer on their implements either. :rolleyes: You can really tell a few months later......

Hmm.. My KK mower, scoop & boom pole are holding up fine, paint wise. They are the older red ones.. from about 2000 or around that year..

Soundguy

/ Painting battery acid corrosion? #25  
Soundguy said:
Hmm.. My KK mower, scoop & boom pole are holding up fine, paint wise. They are the older red ones.. from about 2000 or around that year..

Soundguy

Never had a red KK implement Soundguy. All the ones I'm familiar with are baby-poop-yellow and there may be a difference in the way they were painted.

/ Painting battery acid corrosion? #26  
PineRidge said:
Never had a red KK implement Soundguy. All the ones I'm familiar with are baby-poop-yellow and there may be a difference in the way they were painted.

Those buff yellow ones were coming out when i bought my red items. I remember TSC discounted all the red painted ones on the lot when that happened.. Thus I walked out there with the manager and said I'd take the 3 red things he had left.. my mower, scoop, and pole and carry-all. He then asked if i wanted one of the newer yellow 3pt hay spears. I asked 'why, is it discounted too?" The manager laughed and said.. as a matter of fact, yes. It had been on the top pallet, got rusted, then fell off the truck during unloading.. scratched it up real bad. For the 10% discount he gave me.. I can look at alot of scratched up yellow paint.

My credit card hurt that month.. but I got alot of implements cheaper than I would have. ironically.. the yellow implements were priced more than the red ones.. so it was like getting an extra discount!!

Soundguy