painting implements with cans of spray paint

/ painting implements with cans of spray paint #11  
RalphVa said:
I don't know what that POR stuff is. What you need to apply, after first wire brushing the loose stuff off, is one of those treatments that turn the rust (iron oxide) into black iron sulfide. Rustoleum makes one called Rust Reformer. NAPA makes one. Trustan is one of the old brands. I've poured Trustan into one of those little pump sprayers and applied it that way.

Then spray on your primer. Then your top coat. Actually, you could just stop with the Rust Reformer or Trustan. It'll protect the implement. I once put Rust Reformer on a snow plow on areas where the paint had been rubbed off. Those areas that had a tad of rust were turned black; the rest stayed apparently shiney bare metal.

Ralph

I'll second this recommendation (specifically the rust converters). Once you get a good base coat on then you can just spray bomb them every year. I watch for Rustoleum on sale and bomb everything in the fall. It's quick and easy and works good enough for me.

/ painting implements with cans of spray paint #12  
Well, back to your original question, I use rattle cans of spray paint. Mostly because I hate having to get the spray gun, air compressor, thinner, paint, etc. etc. out to paint my crummy implements....and then the clean-up...oh my God....get me out-a-here!!! I do prepare them by sanding and then priming with 2 coats and then 2 coats of finisher. I get the cheap stuff at Home depot. But it's not the cost...it's the hastle I hate. Works for me.
To do an excellent job however, take the other advice.

/ painting implements with cans of spray paint #13  
Pooh_Bear said:
I what do I look for. Will it be at TSC
Here's what TSC sells: http://www.mytscstore.com/detail.asp?pcID=4&paID=1032&sonID=456&productID=18290

It will cover surface rust without primer. But if there's any flaking rust or perforations, I'd do some prep work first. Not being either a metal worker or a painter, I just use a putty knife to scrape off flaking rust, then use a rust convertor. When dry, you can paint right over it just like primer. See http://www.mytscstore.com/detail.asp?pcID=2&paID=1018&sonID=460&productID=18291

//greg//

/ painting implements with cans of spray paint
That sounds like what I need then.

I can get rattle cans of Rustoleum at the dollar store for a dollar each.
Hard to beat that for a light coat of paint every year.

Thanks.

Pooh Bear

/ painting implements with cans of spray paint #15  
Rattle cans are expensive when you actually take into consideration the little paint that's actually in them after you factor out the propellant.

Get a decent gun from Harbor Freight, a quart of your favorite color in implement paint from TSC along with a gallon of thinner.

After the implements are repainted it's pretty easy to go back and hit them whenever a touch-up is needed.

/ painting implements with cans of spray paint #16  
Ditto.. 1 qt paint at TSC is 8$.. same as primer.. naptha is 2$, and a cheapy gun is 15$...

As some spray cans are in the 3-4$ range.. And you figure a primer then a surface coat... 9-10 cans can equal a spray job that can do a couple implements... without finder fatigue..

Soundguy

/ painting implements with cans of spray paint #17  
Soundguy said:
Ditto.. 1 qt paint at TSC is 8$.. same as primer.. naptha is 2$, and a cheapy gun is 15$...

As some spray cans are in the 3-4$ range.. And you figure a primer then a surface coat... 9-10 cans can equal a spray job that can do a couple implements... without finder fatigue..

Soundguy

The PRIMER I see at TSC...says to apply with a "brush or roller"...and when I asked about that..?..tehe guy told me the only thing he could think of was that it couldnt be "cut enough" to be able to spray..?? I sure dont know...but "I'd think" a person could dilute ANY primer with the correct thinner to be able to spray it??....or Maybe not???

Cheapest spray can primer I can find here is at NAPA and its $2.99 a can..some is LOTS more

/ painting implements with cans of spray paint #18  
Sully2 said:
The PRIMER I see at TSC...says to apply with a "brush or roller"...and when I asked about that..?..tehe guy told me the only thing he could think of was that it couldnt be "cut enough" to be able to spray..?? I sure dont know...but "I'd think" a person could dilute ANY primer with the correct thinner to be able to spray it??....or Maybe not???

Cheapest spray can primer I can find here is at NAPA and its $2.99 a can..some is LOTS more
Hmm.. I'll look at the can of primer i got from tsc.. but it sprayed fine for me using naptha and a spray gun. I'm pretty sure it had spray instructions on it.

Was an oil based primer.. at TSC.. etc.

Soundguy

/ painting implements with cans of spray paint #19  
Soundguy said:
Hmm.. I'll look at the can of primer i got from tsc.. but it sprayed fine for me using naptha and a spray gun. I'm pretty sure it had spray instructions on it.

Was an oil based primer.. at TSC.. etc.

Soundguy

TSC primer DOES have spray thinning recomendations on the can. I was reading it just yesterday. (Trying to understand why I've had such HORRIBLE luck with their primer.... Doesn't want to dry all the way through for me, even following their recomendations)

/ painting implements with cans of spray paint #20  
Farmwithjunk said:
TSC primer DOES have spray thinning recomendations on the can. I was reading it just yesterday. (Trying to understand why I've had such HORRIBLE luck with their primer.... Doesn't want to dry all the way through for me, even following their recomendations)

Hmm?? I'll look again then..I sure didnt see any? I saw where it recommended mineral spirits or naptha as thinners...AND brush or roller applications...but I sure didnt see any "spray" info??

Why do you think it didnt want to dry good for you??