Pallets in fields

/ Pallets in fields #4,132  
10 demerits for everyone contributing to the delinquency of a noob...!

Most of you are beyond help but at least have some pity on the naive, gullible and vulnerable members that are still wet behind the ears...!
I'm probably beyond help. On another note, I'm glad you're still hanging around enjoying the spectacle with us.😁

/ Pallets in fields #4,133  
They are pallets used to place produce...tomatoes and beans on when picking during harvest season, left standing to minimize rot during winter and utilized each fall.
This is the kind of deductive reasoning that unfortunately is born out by the lack of socializing, wearing a mask too long, and rebreathing depleted air. ;)

/ Pallets in fields #4,134  
I was out surveying the old homestead site here. One of these days I have to clean up all the old barn and chicken coop wood and burn it. It will be a manual job, by hand, because of all the nails/spikes the homesteader used. Buried under a mound of pine needles, limbs, associated trash - an old wooden pallet. It had the name of an old wheat Co-Op burned into the side rail. Amber Grain Co-Op. Sitting on the pallet - a wood box with the homesteaders name and address stenciled on it. That pallet and box are close to 100 years old. The box was the size of an apple box but heavier wood. It was half full of old dry cell batteries. All, rotten to the core. The homesteader never had electricity here. The old batteries were used to power a radio. It was the only form of entertainment they had in those days.

No phone, no electricity, no legal access. By hand shake agreement - they came onto this property thru an old road on the neighbors property.

I'm rather interested now. After finding the old pallet & box - wonder what else is out there to be found.

/ Pallets in fields #4,135  
I was out surveying the old homestead site here. One of these days I have to clean up all the old barn and chicken coop wood and burn it. It will be a manual job, by hand, because of all the nails/spikes the homesteader used. Buried under a mound of pine needles, limbs, associated trash - an old wooden pallet. It had the name of an old wheat Co-Op burned into the side rail. Amber Grain Co-Op. Sitting on the pallet - a wood box with the homesteaders name and address stenciled on it. That pallet and box are close to 100 years old. The box was the size of an apple box but heavier wood. It was half full of old dry cell batteries. All, rotten to the core. The homesteader never had electricity here. The old batteries were used to power a radio. It was the only form of entertainment they had in those days.

No phone, no electricity, no legal access. By hand shake agreement - they came onto this property thru an old road on the neighbors property.

I'm rather interested now. After finding the old pallet & box - wonder what else is out there to be found.

Metal detector?

/ Pallets in fields #4,136  
Yes, 2Lane - Whites's metal detector. Out in the old homestead area it lights up like a Christmas tree. I don't think there was ever a spike that the old homesteader didn't like. The "old homestead area" isn't really that large. An old two story barn and chicken house was all that was there.

Can you just imagine - the homesteader and his wife lived in a single room off the chicken house while their permanent house was built. Timing must have been a major constraint. Man - I would have stayed in the second story of the barn. Long before I took up temporary residence in a room just off the chicken house. This homesteader had chickens and sheep. No cows.

Whatever. This area is 50' by about 80'. Not a really large area. Wish I could first burn the area off. Just too much chance of starting a fire that I can't contain.

So ..... one of these days. Big heavy garden rake and slowly clear this area.

After I've done my very best to clear this area....... then the metal detector. Find any spike, nail, etc that have been missed. I'd post pictures but all you would see is dry weeds and lumpy ground.

In my mind - I still remember coming here with my father in '48 or '49. The barn and chicken house were there and still in use. Wish somebody had taken pictures. I met the old homesteader and his wife. I remember how old he appeared and he smelled strongly of pipe smoke. Fortunately - I do have an ancient picture of the both of them.

/ Pallets in fields #4,137  
Yes, 2Lane - Whites's metal detector. Out in the old homestead area it lights up like a Christmas tree. I don't think there was ever a spike that the old homesteader didn't like. The "old homestead area" isn't really that large. An old two story barn and chicken house was all that was there.

Can you just imagine - the homesteader and his wife lived in a single room off the chicken house while their permanent house was built. Timing must have been a major constraint. Man - I would have stayed in the second story of the barn. Long before I took up temporary residence in a room just off the chicken house. This homesteader had chickens and sheep. No cows.

Whatever. This area is 50' by about 80'. Not a really large area. Wish I could first burn the area off. Just too much chance of starting a fire that I can't contain.

So ..... one of these days. Big heavy garden rake and slowly clear this area.

After I've done my very best to clear this area....... then the metal detector. Find any spike, nail, etc that have been missed. I'd post pictures but all you would see is dry weeds and lumpy ground.

In my mind - I still remember coming here with my father in '48 or '49. The barn and chicken house were there and still in use. Wish somebody had taken pictures. I met the old homesteader and his wife. I remember how old he appeared and he smelled strongly of pipe smoke. Fortunately - I do have an ancient picture of the both of them.

I used to work with a PhD Microbiologist at a research laboratory. He was telling me that when he was in school, the biology department had raised some chickens for studies they were doing at the time, and they later they turned that same facility into a Microbiology lab. He said they had to abandon it; it was so heavily contaminated with mold, fungi, etc. that they couldn't even make a sterile pour plate.

/ Pallets in fields #4,138  
Honestly you would think a microbiologist would know better than to even try doing that,

/ Pallets in fields #4,139  
Honestly you would think a microbiologist would know better than to even try doing that,
I figured politics entered into the equation somewhere. I have learned that physical scientists, engineers and administrators do not think like biologists, and sometimes do not have an appreciation for the variability of biological entities, nor the dangers of exposures to chemicals, etc.

/ Pallets in fields #4,140  
one wonders how much money is spent and wasted on such silly decisions