Comparison Partial Power Shift - What exactly does that mean

/ Partial Power Shift - What exactly does that mean #1  

Risefarm

Tractor
JD 5720, Yanmar 3100, Fiat 70ci Ag Crawler,
In their spec sheets JD refer to partial on the go shifting. From what I can see looking closely at the models and reading the brochures, this is just a nice way of saying that the transmission has a synchromesh transmission which needs use of the clutch. Can anyone definitely confirm this? To add more confusion some JD sales brochures talk about a hi low but then in the spec sheet list all the transmission options as 'partial' on the go. They seem to deliberately avoid letting us know if it requires the use of the clutch.

/ Partial Power Shift - What exactly does that mean #2  
If it's like most tractors (such as mine), the range selector is not synchro, but the four speeds in a given range are, and do require use of the clutch pedal. I know of no manual or shuttle tractor that is different (though some shuttles indicate that you can go from forward to reverse without clutch, and then say the opposite in other places in the manual. I use the clutch.)

/ Partial Power Shift - What exactly does that mean #3  
On my power shuttle tractor, L,M, & H range and creeper gear are not synchronized, you have to decide which range you want before taking off. The four gears can be changed while moving as well as the hi/lo button. (Once you have a tractor with a hi/lo you will never want to go back, it’s the one feature that should be required by law!)

Forward to reverse you do NOT use the clutch.

/ Partial Power Shift - What exactly does that mean #4  
Deere used "partial on the go" to refer to partially synchronized transmission, like full synchronized speed lever, crash box range, or partial synchronized speed box and crash box range.

Should say "partial powershift" for a hi/lo or powerquad style box.

What model are you talking? Might help someone who has driven said model.

/ Partial Power Shift - What exactly does that mean #5  
In their spec sheets JD refer to partial on the go shifting. From what I can see looking closely at the models and reading the brochures, this is just a nice way of saying that the transmission has a synchromesh transmission which needs use of the clutch. Can anyone definitely confirm this? To add more confusion some JD sales brochures talk about a hi low but then in the spec sheet list all the transmission options as 'partial' on the go. They seem to deliberately avoid letting us know if it requires the use of the clutch.

I had a 100 hp , 1979 4230 with partial and what it meant was that when you were running a plow in a row at a certain RPM and gear, when you got to the end of the row, you could hit the 3 pt raise lever and then immediately the shift "gear" lever down one notch (gear..no clutching) to slow your ground speed while you stomped the appropriate brake pedal, executing a turn at a slower speed than the plowing speed.............as the turn was being completed you hit the 3 pt lever to drop it and immediately hit the "gear lever putting you back in the higher gear to go back to plowing at the previous speed. You couldn't change "ranges" without stopping and clutching but this partial shifting really helped in cutting turn around time out of your time on the field.

/ Partial Power Shift - What exactly does that mean #6  
On my power shuttle tractor, L,M, & H range and creeper gear are not synchronized, you have to decide which range you want before taking off. The four gears can be changed while moving as well as the hi/lo button. (Once you have a tractor with a hi/lo you will never want to go back, it’s the one feature that should be required by law!)

Forward to reverse you do NOT use the clutch.

I agree. Wish my 12/12 Hydraulic Shuttle Kubota had a hi/lo splitter. To get that you have to step up to the AG models.

Only advantage my Kubota has is it's a 6/2 setup. So I can get 6 speeds without stopping.

/ Partial Power Shift - What exactly does that mean #7  
What tractor are you talking about? On my 24/12 power reverser it has 3 ranges and 4gears. There is a rabbit/turtle switch on the gear shift to basically split the gears. Works great. No clutch needed

Brett