Paw Paw Trees

/ Paw Paw Trees #1  

marhar

Gold Member
Tractor
Farm Trac 60
Do you have any experience with the Paw Paw tree? I never knew they existed until a good friend of mine came across a Paw Paw while hunting; he moved the tree to his yard. I am looking to buy a few trees and plant is a shaded area in my yard. Any advice.

/ Paw Paw Trees #2  
We planted one but in a shady area. It got cut down and now we have several more sprouting up from the roots. They are still in shade and not growing fast. I need to plant another (unrelated) pawpaw tree for it to produce fruit....

/ Paw Paw Trees #3  
Get 3 or 4 different varieties. One tree's female and male parts can produce fruit, but the timing is usually way off, so another variety will develop at different times and they will be able to pollinate each other.
Patrick

/ Paw Paw Trees #4  
Clones will sprout from the roots and not produce. And they are not pollinated by bees but rather by flies, or by you manually. One website I read said to hang roadkill in the trees to attract flies!!!

/ Paw Paw Trees #5  
We found some paw paws in our neighbor's back yard and I asked if I could take a few. Sure! I've seen fruit on them, but they never make it to harvest for me as the animals eat them. Nice looking leaves and great fall color. Ours has some very dark flowers in spring.

As others have mentioned, there are many varieties, and you should have several trees to pollinate.

/ Paw Paw Trees #6  
Oh yeah, forgot to say....

The Indiana Banana! :ROFLMAO:

/ Paw Paw Trees #7  
I planted a pair of pawpaws a few years ago in a semi-sunny area. They are coming along pretty nicely and starting to grow now after struggling for a bit. Hoping for some fruit in the next couple years!

/ Paw Paw Trees #8  
That must be how Paw Paw, MI got it's name!
Learn something new everyday....

/ Paw Paw Trees #9  
I thought everyone had heard this hit song: