Pearl Harbor Day

/ Pearl Harbor Day #21  
This picture was taken from the U.S.S. Missouri when I toured the Pearl Harbor site. I had a private tour of the ship, what an experience. They say that the U.S.S. Arizona still spills about a quart of oil a day into Pearl Harbor. My guide told me that the legend is that the harbor is still spilling tears for all the great soldiers that died that day.

For me, this is another day that I get to thank all the veterans for their sacrifice. Thanks. :)

Attachments

• 100_1288.jpg
    100_1288.jpg
    279.9 KB · Views: 57
   / Pearl Harbor Day #22  
Amazing. Wayne, we took nearly the same photo. We took this one we visited Pearl Harbor.

I came up with what I believe is the perfect caption for our photos.

"Sleep well my brothers, we finished what began with you."

For those too young to remember and anyone not familiar with the history of WWII. The USS Arizona was sunk during the surprise attack on Pearl Harbor, by the Japanese on 7 December 1941. The Unconditional Surrender of Japan was signed on the deck of the USS Missouri, in Tokyo Bay on 2 September 1945.
The photos taken by Wayne and me were both taken from the bridge of the USS Missouri moored next to and overlooking the USS Arizona Memorial which is erected over the battleship lying in 40 feet of water and still contains the remains of over 1100 US Sailors and Marines.

My photo is the desktop image on my computer every December 7.

Attachments

• Pearl Harbor.jpg
    Pearl Harbor.jpg
    254.4 KB · Views: 49
   / Pearl Harbor Day #23  
I was a bit miffed that Google did hot have a special artwork up on their page yesterday. :mad:

My John Deere calendar has 12/7 marked. You would think that Google could note the importance of the day.

Later,
Dan

/ Pearl Harbor Day #24  
Amazing. Wayne, we took nearly the same photo. We took this one we visited Pearl Harbor.

Well I guess that view touched way more people than just me. Great caption by the way. I'll have to remember that.

/ Pearl Harbor Day #25  

I came up with what I believe is the perfect caption for our photos.

For those too young to remember and anyone not familiar with the history of WWII. The USS Arizona was sunk during the surprise attack on Pearl Harbor, by the Japanese on 7 December 1941. The Unconditional Surrender of Japan was signed on the deck of the USS Missouri, in Tokyo Bay on 2 September 1945.
The photos taken by Wayne and me were both taken from the bridge of the USS Missouri moored next to and overlooking the USS Arizona Memorial which is erected over the battleship lying in 40 feet of water and still contains the remains of over 1100 US Sailors and Marines.

I was fascinated by WWII as a kid because my dad was in the South Pacific. He went through ROTC training at Notre Dame. Joined the Corps of Engineers. Went to Australia as a welding inspector and photographer. Inspected the welds on the landing craft they built there to invade New Guinea. Invaded New Guinea with everyone else. Was a demolitions officer and photographer there. Had to to horrible things there and then had to take pictures of it. Then he went off to invade the Phillipines and do it all over again. Talk about disturbing. He said he had nightmares about it almost 40 years later. One thing he stressed to me was "those guys were just like us" when talking about the dead enemy. He said many of them had family pictures and trinkets on their bodies. They were just brought up in a different society and were taught to believe what they were taught to believe. They only knew what they were taught. Very compassionate man and a good role model and hero for me. I miss him. :)

Your picture reminded me that my dad and I built models of the Arizona and Missouri when I was a kid. Nice memories and huge symbolism in that photo. Thanks.

/ Pearl Harbor Day #26  
...Even though it was so many years ago, the tension still ran high after the film. It was eye opening for the Japanese tourist; it is my understanding they don't teach about it at all in Japan.

Unfortunately, even kids in the US are not learning about important events in US history; much is being glossed over.

The head of the Japanese Air Force was fired last month because he wrote an essay blaming the US for WWII. Seems like every year or so a Japanese leader will make a statement about WWII putting the blame on some other country or totally ignoring what Japan did during the war. It really ticks of Korea, China, Viet Nam, and the other countries invaded by Japan. It does not seem that Japan has ever come to terms with what they did in the 30s and 40s where as Germany has done so.

I just watched for the second or third time a documentary about Marines and Sailors who had invaded Iwo Jima returning for a visit. Not many of those guys are left and even fewer that can make the trip. To see how small the beaches were under Surabachi is simply frightning. Watching these old Marines and Sailors walk those beaches and the island while they relived their memories was solemn to say the least.

There was a ceramony with the US and Japanese. That had to be tough to sit through for these guys.

Later,
Dan