Pecan Tree Damage?

/ Pecan Tree Damage? #21  
I've noticed that Pecan lumber that I've had stored will pretty soon attract insects that bore into the wood, as evidenced by the sawdust (frass) everywhere.

/ Pecan Tree Damage? #24  
I definitely believe you solved the mystery! Thank you! That seems to be exactly what has been getting the branches. I致e actually seen some fall from high up in the tree and immediately went over and picked them up.

I threw them in the trash. I致e never seen insects like that around the yard or in the tree.

I thought the tree was pretty healthy but one article says they attack a dying section of a tree. Maybe the tree is diseased.

Thanks Again!!!

I have one specific pecan tree that the twig girdlers love. Usually happens in October. You can look for notches in branches around the size of a pencil and you may find the actual twig girdler insect nearby on the branch. They are typically very hard to see as their coloring is similar to the branch colors. They deposit eggs above the girdle and when the branch eventually breaks and falls, the eggs will hatch and emerge and eat the bark on the dead branch.

Best practice is to remove all such branches from the orchard and discard away, as you are doing. It may take you several seasons of removing the dead branches to reduce the girdler population.

Good luck!

/ Pecan Tree Damage?
I have one specific pecan tree that the twig girdlers love. Usually happens in October. You can look for notches in branches around the size of a pencil and you may find the actual twig girdler insect nearby on the branch. They are typically very hard to see as their coloring is similar to the branch colors. They deposit eggs above the girdle and when the branch eventually breaks and falls, the eggs will hatch and emerge and eat the bark on the dead branch.

Best practice is to remove all such branches from the orchard and discard away, as you are doing. It may take you several seasons of removing the dead branches to reduce the girdler population.

Good luck!

Very good to know! Thank you!

/ Pecan Tree Damage? #28  
I was as confounded as that also when I first started seeing the branches. I kind of ignored it for awhile but stared seeing more and more so that’s when I decided to call on the TBN brain trust!
I learned something new, never knew there was an insect thst would do that. We have woodpeckers and other birds here that drill around a branch which kills it.

/ Pecan Tree Damage?
I learned something new, never knew there was an insect thst would do that. We have woodpeckers and other birds here that drill around a branch which kills it.

Yep, with all the insects and woodpeckers and disease it seems like trees have the deck stacked against them. But yet we still have a lot that thrive.

/ Pecan Tree Damage? #30  

And pecan trees really dont need assistance pruning, they are quite good at it on their own. :)
I have a dozen or so from 60 to 80 years old around the house. After every wind storm its time to drag off big limbs. A grapple would be soooo nice.