Peeling apples for drying OR why I now own a Kevlar glove

/ Peeling apples for drying OR why I now own a Kevlar glove #21  
I remember that too, but I also remember some wax sealed jars going moldy.
I remember that also, but neglected to mention it. ;) At the time we thought that as long as we scraped the mold off we were good to go. :D

/ Peeling apples for drying OR why I now own a Kevlar glove #22  
I remember that also, but neglected to mention it. ;) At the time we thought that as long as we scraped the mold off we were good to go. :D
Must have worked, you are still around. Jon

/ Peeling apples for drying OR why I now own a Kevlar glove #23  
Reminds me of my youth as well. Mom would can just about anything. Sometimes, just fresh fruit or veggies. Other times, she would pre-mix salsa, pasta sauce etc. At 90, she is still an active gardener and manages a jar or two of rhubarb schmear every year.

She used wax on jams and such. Lots of re-washed jars and lids. She also used some of the ones with a rubber o-ring and a bail. I used to hate the canning, but I am glad I know how.

/ Peeling apples for drying OR why I now own a Kevlar glove #24  
She also used some of the ones with a rubber o-ring and a bail.
I've been seeing silicon versions of the rings for sale lately. I had a bunch of the jars which I got from my grnadmother, but have since dispersed them throughout the family. I believe that I may still have a couple of blue ones up in my shed.

/ Peeling apples for drying OR why I now own a Kevlar glove #25  
A long time ago we bought a set of plastic canning jar lids similar to these. When we open a jar, like applesauce, for instance, we put one of these on to keep it in the fridge until it's gone.

701D30EE-1D31-43BA-9111-392ED3B24330.jpeg

/ Peeling apples for drying OR why I now own a Kevlar glove #26  
I finally got up to the barn loft and got a photo of the ancient apple peeler\corer stored there.
Rival #2.
I see two on eBay, $500 and $800. Also new replica cutters available, over $100.
Our kids are going to inherit lots of surprises.
IMG_20221119_145349740.jpg

/ Peeling apples for drying OR why I now own a Kevlar glove #28  
I'm so old that I can remember sealing jam with wax... the covers just kept it clean.
Gulf brand wax. Same as the oil company GULF I believe. I can still see that package in my mind in my mom’s cabinet.

/ Peeling apples for drying OR why I now own a Kevlar glove #29  
Gulf brand wax. Same as the oil company GULF I believe. I can still see that package in my mind in my mom’s cabinet.
Yep, me too.

The wax that made the Rockefeller and Standard Oil wealth. It is an interesting story, and a lesson in finding value in someone's trash/waste. With the money from selling the, at the time waste/trash wax, Rockefeller was able to undercut his competitors on the competing product (kerosene/lamp oil) and run them out of business.
Mentioned briefly in the Wikipedia entry; John D. Rockefeller - Wikipedia
More here How Rockefeller Built His Trillion Dollar Oil Empire

All the best,

Peter

/ Peeling apples for drying OR why I now own a Kevlar glove #30  
I inherited a lifetime supply of Gulf [correction] AMOCO Parowax. 20 years later I've used up a few sticks. It's a great non runny lube, for wood drawer slides etc. Yesterday I used some to free up a small brass caliper.

This block lives on my workbench. It's used mostly for wood screws.

IMG_20221120_092541926~2.jpg

Correction explained: Gulf's minor products division merged into AMOCO. New logo, same paraffin.

Last edited: