Pennzoil 5w30 shortage?

/ Pennzoil 5w30 shortage? #1  

NoTrespassing

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota 1999 L3710 HST FWA
My father who just turned 80 and is still driving a car with over 330,000 miles on it, is looking for Pennzoil 5w30 conventional motor oil. He drives 80 miles per day on his rural mail route and changes oil every 3000 miles. Suffice it to say he goes through A LOT of oil. As one can imagine he is set in his ways and doesn't want any oil in his cars other than 5w30 Pennzoil conventional.

He's been having a hard time finding it locally and asked for my help to find it online. I was able to purchase 10w30 conventional Pennzoil for 2 other cars that he owns but when looking for 5w30 it's pretty scarce. Retailers are actually charging more for it than full synthetic in most cases. I can find it but I don't want to pay that premium. In the end he will probably pay 30$ for 5 quarts for conventional because he refuses to use anything else.

Has anyone else noticed this shortage and why do you think it is happening. I would guess lack of demand and the company is producing all the boutique oils they sell for more $/qt. with a higher profit margin.

Kevin

/ Pennzoil 5w30 shortage? #2  
Have you tried any of the quickie oil change places, they might sell it

/ Pennzoil 5w30 shortage? #3  
Although not advertised or marked as such I believe any multi viscosity oil in the 5W range is a semi synthetic at least - at least that's what I was told by the service guys at the dealer when asked if I wanted synthetic 5W-20 or regular oil. You can get 5W-30 Pennzoil now in full synthetic or 10W-30 in conventional on Amazon though Walmart may have better prices, and of course there are the auto parts stores. Do a bit of investigation of oil weights and run what the manufacturer recommends.

/ Pennzoil 5w30 shortage? #4  
You could always fill an empty Penzoil container with generic 5W30 and give it to him. :) As long as it meets specs, today's oils are all pretty much the same.
thats what I was thinking, just fill the old containers.

/ Pennzoil 5w30 shortage?
You could always fill an empty Penzoil container with generic 5W30 and give it to him. :) As long as it meets specs, today's oils are all pretty much the same.
The way my Dad cares for his cars, that may be grounds for disinheritance.

/ Pennzoil 5w30 shortage? #6  
Tell him to back off his oil changes to 5,000 miles and use whatever oil is available. SuperTech would be fine.

/ Pennzoil 5w30 shortage? #7  
Sounds like a good man , explain to him that all oil is good , not always on the shelf . Take care of dad . Kevin .

/ Pennzoil 5w30 shortage? #10  
If you decide to go the platinum synthetic route, Pennzoil is offering a $25 gift card rebate on the purchase of 10 quarts from select retailers.
Info 2022 PENNZOIL PLATINUM REWARDS PROMOTION
I waited until in was on sale locally, then applied for the rebate as well. Became cheaper than conventional.