People are weird

/ People are weird
I've bought plenty of things from auctions. I've got some great deals on woodworking equipment. Some of them have a set time they end but if someone bids in the last minute it adds time. It this case several people decided their maximum price really wasn't their limit. Looking at the bid history a couple of dealers bid on it but dropped out not much higher than my limit. The trailer was in a remote location and the pictures weren't all that great. I'm wondering if they didn't actually go look at it in person.

I was actually looking at a couple different standby generators (in other auctions) that needed some work. They went for a reasonable price.

/ People are weird #12  
I would not buy the trailor you described. Very unlikely to take it even if it was free. Basically have to rebuild it to fix it. The described existing wheels and axles are a no way no how deal breaker by them self’s.

/ People are weird #13  
I keep telling myself never to spend, time, energy and money on used trailers.

Anyway, I did buy such a trailer years ago with the mobile home axles and rims. They do look more impressive than the typical white (powder scab) rusted junk rims. I had the hardest time finding some of those wheel studs in the right length and thread size.

Auction prices, even according to the local auctioneer, are simply SKY HIGH! Especially On-Line auctions, and there simply aren't any deals. How is is that people that can be so stupid, have so much money to spend?

/ People are weird #14  
I was buying on Gunbroker for a while. The first gun I bought- a single shot 16 gauge Stevens- was a good deal, even after paying the FF fees. So I bought another- a single shot 12 gauge Stevens- again for a good price because I drive right past the town the selling party is in when going to my parent's house. The next few were OK; I got a fair deal for the Savage 99 because it had no magazines, and those aren't made anymore. I've since picked up 3 mags for decent prices.
A couple of handguns were pushing the limit a bit... then I bid on a single shot Savage .410 and trusted the description a bit too much. I could probably get my money back out of it but that was the last gun I bought online.

/ People are weird #15  
Sounds like you could make good money buying the 10,000 trailers for $2000,00 and putting them back up for sale.
Around here a good used one would bring $2500,00 in a heartbeat.

/ People are weird #16  
Holy crap!

I got a nice 16 foot trailer built out of 8 inch channel iron, with house trailer axels; in trade for some welding on a 5th wheel trailer the guy owned. He figured it was worth $400 and that was about what the welding was worth that I did.

Typically I get screwed in those kinds of deals. The only reason I agreed to the deal was because my wife thought it would make a good Tiny Home Trailer being so rugged.

I had no idea the trailer was worth so much.

/ People are weird #17  
Holy crap!

I got a nice 16 foot trailer built out of 8 inch channel iron, with house trailer axels; in trade for some welding on a 5th wheel trailer the guy owned. He figured it was worth $400 and that was about what the welding was worth that I did.

Typically I get screwed in those kinds of deals. The only reason I agreed to the deal was because my wife thought it would make a good Tiny Home Trailer being so rugged.

I had no idea the trailer was worth so much.

I sold one just like that a few years ago for $700. Heavy doesn't necessarily equate good... in my case it was way too heavy, and the axles were so far forward that you didn't even need a tongue jack, it would stand level on it's own. It was going to cost way too much to fix it so that it was legal, and would always go down the road screwy. You couldn't go over 45 mph or it would be all over the road.

Plus I've never been sure how you determine the weight rating on a homemade trailer...

/ People are weird #18  
My beaver tail trailer made with the mobile home axles spared no expense for weight and bulk. Maybe great twenty years ago. It's why I sold it. I am maxed out for my Duramax as far as licensed weight before I have to go CVR (commercial with log books and all that stuff) and I doubt I could legally carry any weight in that trailer, the legal weight all being taken up with the extra weight of the Duramax and heavy trailer!

/ People are weird #19  
I sold one just like that a few years ago for $700. Heavy doesn't necessarily equate good... in my case it was way too heavy, and the axles were so far forward that you didn't even need a tongue jack, it would stand level on it's own. It was going to cost way too much to fix it so that it was legal, and would always go down the road screwy. You couldn't go over 45 mph or it would be all over the road.

Plus I've never been sure how you determine the weight rating on a homemade trailer...

I built a 2 axle a little over 20 years ago here in Maine and I've used and registered it since. it doesn't carry any weight rating on the registration, but it's pretty much irrelevant anyways, because for anything over a 2000lb trailer here we have to register the tow vehicle at a rating that will cover the tow vehicle, trailer and all cargo in the truck and trailer. we only have two trailer registration prices - 2k weight and over 2k weight. it is currently on a pair of dreaded (gasp) mobile home axles and I built it to perform like like a normal 7k trailer even though it has no rating plate.

/ People are weird #20  
I built a 2 axle a little over 20 years ago here in Maine and I've used and registered it since. it doesn't carry any weight rating on the registration, but it's pretty much irrelevant anyways, because for anything over a 2000lb trailer here we have to register the tow vehicle at a rating that will cover the tow vehicle, trailer and all cargo in the truck and trailer. we only have two trailer registration prices - 2k weight and over 2k weight. it is currently on a pair of dreaded (gasp) mobile home axles and I built it to perform like like a normal 7k trailer even though it has no rating plate.
I know all about Maine trailer laws. At the time that I sold mine they were making noises about enforcing laws on pickups and trailers. I have a little 3k gvwr dump trailer and as you say, am supposed to have my pickup registered for the trailer. Yet for the first time in my life, I put passenger plates on my new truck. Heck, the curb weight of a half ton pickup is over 5000 lbs... put 2 people and a dog in it and you're over your weight rating.