Perhaps, a Dumb Question

/ Perhaps, a Dumb Question #1  

Richard

Elite Member
Tractor
International 1066 Full sized JCB Loader/Backhoe and a John Deere 430 to mow with
I got some stuff for gas welding. I don't have any kind of welder at all....

I've had need before to torch something and/or heat it.... so might get an Acy/O2 set of tanks to go with the stuff I acquired. Which brings me to my question. I've seen essentially two types of regulators (of which I have none).

One has a dial, the other might have a dial but also has some sort of glass tube that might (pardon my phrase) float a ball.

If I have nothing.... look to buy something.... is there an inherent advantage of one style over the other? Mind you, I'm presuming they both accomplish the same task so if my presumption is wrong, then you know how little I know!

/ Perhaps, a Dumb Question
There ya go! Thank you!!

/ Perhaps, a Dumb Question #4  
I'll throw another option at you - Oxy/Propane. It is a similar but slightly different torch set vs Oxy/Acetylene. The benefit is you don't need to get acetylene which is expensive and is a bit more hazardous than propane. You can just use your grill tank. Great for heating and cutting too.

Downsides: you cannot weld with propane (you can braze) and it sucks down oxygen like crazy, but oxy is a lot cheaper than acetylene.

But if you don't plan to weld with it, the propane option could make more sense.

/ Perhaps, a Dumb Question #5  
OP: once you get the regs, be sure to install inline flash back resistors on both hoses
regards

/ Perhaps, a Dumb Question #7  
You'll probably find that welding with oxy-acetylene is ok for welding thin stuff, perhaps up to about 1/16" thick. However, you will have to watch warping. You'll be able to braze a little bit larger stuff, which may or may not do what you want.
The oxy setup is, however, good for heating and bending, or cutting.
If you wish to do heavier welding, then start looking at other welders. MIG is easy to use for general welding. Stick does well if you're doing a lot of thick stuff that needs a lot of heat, or just quick and dirty welds.
And, of course TIG is somewhat like gas welding with electricity.

/ Perhaps, a Dumb Question #8  
Resistors / arresters - also called check valves - definitely a must. One downside to using propane or map gas is that the preheat time for torch cutting is noticeably longer. And though you may not ever need to weld with the torch its good to have options. Whichever you decide go with be safe and try and have fun