Perhaps a Helmet While Bushwacking/Brush clearing??

/ Perhaps a Helmet While Bushwacking/Brush clearing?? #1  

jgrreed

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 4720
I read on here on TBN recently of a man killed by a tree branch that was tensioned by either the ROPS or exhaust (or something), and subsequently snapped back, struck him in the head, and killed him.

I spent the better part of last week pasture mowing and reclaiming some overgrown brush/bush. I can now certainly see the argument for open station machines to prevent cab damage!!

More importantly however, several times I considered putting on my full-face sledding helmet after taking a whipping branch in the face/arm/back/leg..... I was thinking for eye protection, but perhaps that might have saved this man as well.

Passer's by and neighbors might wonder what on earth you're thinking, but it'd be worth it if it saves an eye, or your cerebrum.

-Jer.

/ Perhaps a Helmet While Bushwacking/Brush clearing?? #2  
Got slapped sat while mowing. I know what ur talking about lol.:laughing:

/ Perhaps a Helmet While Bushwacking/Brush clearing?? #3  
Those limbs that get hung and bent back by you ROPS even when folded down can come back and swat you in the back of the head...has happened to me several times.

/ Perhaps a Helmet While Bushwacking/Brush clearing?? #4  
I've been taking back some dense brush/saplings along my fence line, about 50' deep and 20 something tall. What I have found is backing in with the cutter is much safer, and keeps the branches from catching the mirrors/lights on the cab.

Haven't had the pleasure of breaking a cab window on branches tho ...

/ Perhaps a Helmet While Bushwacking/Brush clearing??
Got slapped sat while mowing. I know what ur talking about lol.:laughing:

Oh ya, it hurts like a B****. (those are capital asterisks).

I can see how it could kill someone. Your tractor basically becomes a 60hp bullwhip/bow/slingshot. That's a lot of energy.

Be safe.

-Jer.

/ Perhaps a Helmet While Bushwacking/Brush clearing?? #6  
Yeah,spend several hours a year going around the edges cutting back stuff with a chain saw, that stuck out to far for me last time I cut. Could be dangerous in several ways,going up a steep hill,roll bar hits a big enough limb,maybe over you go.

/ Perhaps a Helmet While Bushwacking/Brush clearing?? #7  
I backed into a white birch not long ago on my tractor, it caused the top to whip and break off , it came down struck me on the forehead taking some of my bark with it. A canopy would also help!!

/ Perhaps a Helmet While Bushwacking/Brush clearing?? #8  
Been knocked silly a few times backing up, its always under tight woods and due to the ROPS, happened on the BX and the Exmark.

/ Perhaps a Helmet While Bushwacking/Brush clearing??
Been knocked silly a few times backing up, its always under tight woods and due to the ROPS, happened on the BX and the Exmark.

That's bad.

My helmet idea isn't seeming so crazy after reading these responses.

-Jer.

/ Perhaps a Helmet While Bushwacking/Brush clearing?? #10  
You know, this really isn't a bad idea. Head protection isn't thought twice about when doing so many things yet this is one that has never been mentioned but certainly applicable. I have been smacked hard by limbs that were pushed by the ROPS several times. Mowing/bush hogging has its dangers too. A coworker was killed 2 years ago while bush hogging a field. He ran over a fence post that was laying on the ground covered with brush and it threw a staple out from under the front of the mower and hit him in the back of the head...killed him right there. Freak accident or not a helmet probably would have saved his life. Frankly, I think you have proposed a wonderful idea.