Permenant trailer ramps

/ Permenant trailer ramps #1  

Hiltz

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 790
Any you guys ever build any drive on or permenant ramps for you trailor. I have a beaver tail trailer (car carrier) with ramps that store under the trailor on slide-in guides. I was wanting to fab up some sort of semi permenant ramps that slide in where the trailer ramps fit. They would have to be offset some as my tractor tire width is a little narrower than the ramp guides. Any you guys ever do something like that. I would love to see pictures to get some ideas. From previous posts I know there are some great fabricators on this site. Thanks

/ Permenant trailer ramps #2  
Pics of my car hauler drive up ramps. I ordered the trailer specifically with the stand up ramps since I didn't want to deal with taking them out and so forth.

Good luck.

Al

Attachments

• 07-09-08-18-33-02 IMG_0411 Al (Large).JPG
    07-09-08-18-33-02 IMG_0411 Al (Large).JPG
    121.6 KB · Views: 1,820
  • 07-09-08 IMG_0412 Al (Medium).JPG
    07-09-08 IMG_0412 Al (Medium).JPG
    86.4 KB · Views: 858
   / Permenant trailer ramps
Thanks for the quick reply FTG-05. I was thinking of something alot smaller. Maybe just a "wedge" type ramp not over 12" in length. My tractor will almost climb the beaver tail now with no ramps being used. I think just a small wedge that fits in the existing ramp holders would do the trick. But im not sure how to go about designing them.

/ Permenant trailer ramps #4  
i have a gooseneck with beavertail, and installed ramps that flip down.. however when loading things with low ground clearance I find I need to bring a set of those car 'oil change' ramps.. and set the oem flip down ramps on thos so the auto can make it up the angle... adds a couple feet to the run and lowers the angle.

soundguy

/ Permenant trailer ramps #5  
I see what you're getting at something you could pull out and drop but not have to take out and lift them up to bed. Those guides would need to extend fully rearward, then you would have to have some type of stop and hinge point at the back of those angle iron guides. you would have a pretty good little bump to go over but with a tractor shouldn't be a big deal.
Don't think you could make them work "offset" like this, you would have to reposition the guides
You'd still have to keep them seperate, if you made it one pc it would be heavy putting it back up to store.

That's why those tilt beds are so popular now, no one wants to deal with ramps anymore, especially those that use trailer daily.
The trailer dealer told me contractors don't even look at anything but tilt beds.
For my occasional use my sping loaded ramps are fine.

JB.

Thanks JB, Im the worlds worst at explaining things to people. Usually takes me about 3 tries.

/ Permenant trailer ramps #7  
I have a slick lightweight set I built for my car trailer out of 1x2 15ga sq tubing and expanded metal that stow real nice and have been strong enough for everything the trailer will safely carry to drive on.

It is a matter of 4 pieces of angle welded under the trailer 2 on each side making a channel. I used 2 pieces of pipe on each side welded to the back of the trailer directly above where the ramps are stored and then one long one that fits between them welded on the front end of the ramp so when its pulled out the bar that holds them in attaches them to the back of the trailer. If that makes any sense to you I could post a pic if necessary.

With that said I have a 4wd tractor and I don't even use them any more to load the tractor I just lower the bucket onto the back of the trailer and lift the front wheels up high enough to clear the end of the trailer and drive on its pure laziness but it works.

/ Permenant trailer ramps #8  
Here ya go Hiltz I found a pic with my ramps in it and I think you can get the idea I was trying to convey on the ramps if you are interested? hth

Attachments

• IMG_0837 (1024x768).jpg
    IMG_0837 (1024x768).jpg
    675.7 KB · Views: 1,138
Ahhhh, I see. Good Idea Car Doc. You guys are the best............Thanks

/ Permenant trailer ramps #10  
Doc, I see It's been a while since you shot hoops:D