Pet Peeve?

/ Pet Peeve? #1  

SPYDERLK

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD2010, Kubota3450,2550, Mahindra 7520 w FEL w Skid Steer QC w/Tilt Tatch, & BH, BX1500
Just thot it would be fun to have a thread to bring up substantive issues of design that we think compromise the full utility or general function of tractors. These can be broad issues or those prevalent in only a few. Could the nicest features of all have any chance of being consolidated in a design?
larry

/ Pet Peeve? #2  
I think every design engineer should have to lay under the equipment they design and try to reach all the grease fittings with a hand pump grease gun.

/ Pet Peeve?
yeah! ... or be able to grease a loader w/o the engine running so you can move things this way and that to get a shot at the fittings. Some do some dont. ;)

How about this one -- Why doesnt the brake set lock both pedals so you can use independent /split brakes and still set both in one step when you need to dismount. The prevalent design discourages use of split brakes due to the inherent disadvantage to being able to easily park securely.
larry

/ Pet Peeve? #4  
I think every design engineer should have to lay under the equipment they design and try to reach all the grease fittings with a hand pump grease gun.

and when they do stupid things like put an unprotected wire harness with quick connect plugs under the belly of the tractor.. especially ones that will prevent the tractor from starting when undone.. then every time one comes undone on a tractor.. they should have to drive out and personally fix each and every one every time it happens.. then they might re-route the wires a lil..

soundguy

/ Pet Peeve? #5  
I have two pet peeves:

1) Cheezy battery trays.... ALL tractor manufacturers should be required to build the battery tray or battery compartment out of stainless steel, or something that won't corrode from the battery juice. Everybody knows that the batteries get jostled around on a tractor and occasionally will spill some of the fluid inside them. Go ahead, spend the extra money and design it so it won't corrode through in a few years. I'm sure a potential owner would be glad to spend the extra bucks for it.

2) Lighting..... Most tractors have two rather weak 55w bulbs up front, and a spotlight for the rear. That's just not enough in my opinion. How many people do you see on this forum that have added extra lights to their tractor?

/ Pet Peeve? #6  
Good posts so far. I'll add EVERY tractor should have a decent tool box.

/ Pet Peeve? #7  
I agree w/Soundguy hands down.."unprotected wire harness with quick connect plugs"
in places one can barely reach..does rise blood level a tad.

/ Pet Peeve? #9  
The location of the seat adjustment. My wife is short and I'm tall. She leaves the seat all way forward making it hard for me to get on. I'd like a much easier way too move the seat back. For some reason, I can't seem to get the seat to slide back without actually being on the seat and I have to be a contortionist to do that. Getting my wife to slide the seat back would be as easy as solving the toilet seat up or down issue.

/ Pet Peeve? #10  
A friend of mine married a lady from England, and her father and uncle run a company that makes farming/industrial equipment. He went to school to be an engineer and went to workfor them while he was over there. The few days while he was getting settled the FIL asked hime what size he wore. He thought that was funny till monday morning when he got there in his suit and tie and the FIL handed him a set of coverall and told him he was assigned wot work with Martyn the Mechanic.

He hated it first but said it really helped him understand why mechanics didnt like engineers lol. He said that it was deffinately a big shock to see some of his designs with several service flaws.

I know The Caterpillar 518 Skidder converssone that Cat had a company make a feller buncher out of a Cat 518 skidder needed alot of design reworked on it. WHere the bladse was I still uses the blade mounts, but thats where the counterweight and batteries are. When the Radiator has to come off the machines nose of radiator housing is bolted through the counter wieght, main frame, and machine nose. That plus 25 years of rust it almost never came apart lol.