Posthole Digger PHD and Hydraulic top link????

/ PHD and Hydraulic top link???? #1  

rtdiggr

Platinum Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1433v
Has anyone put a hydraulic top link on to a standard PHD?

Shane

/ PHD and Hydraulic top link???? #2  
rtdiggr said:
Has anyone put a hydraulic top link on to a standard PHD?

Shane

Do not do this! It is a recipe for disaster. Down pressure units for post hole diggers use single acting hydraulics with pressure relief valves as part of the down pressure kit. Without the proper kit, major damage most likely will ac cure to your PHD.

/ PHD and Hydraulic top link???? #3  
I don't see how you could, as they connect directly to the tractor with the main boom onto the top link of the tractor?

If you wish to apply down pressure, you would need a kit to put a cyl in the current phd linkage to pull down, & as mentioned need the propert pop vlaving toi keep from busting stuff up.

--->Paul

/ PHD and Hydraulic top link???? #4  
MtnViewRanch said:
Do not do this! It is a recipe for disaster. Down pressure units for post hole diggers use single acting hydraulics with pressure relief valves as part of the down pressure kit. Without the proper kit, major damage most likely will ac cure to your PHD.
You sound like you had some experience (All BAD) with this. Care to tell us about it?

/ PHD and Hydraulic top link???? #5  
weldingisfun said:
You sound like you had some experience (All BAD) with this. Care to tell us about it?

Not me, people that I know. Ended up with bent pieces of metal that had to be replaced.:eek: There are somethings that you should not cut corners or go cheap on. I had thought about building my own down pressure unit(didn't want to spend the $500+ for the factory unit):eek: and had thought that I would use a double acting cylinder. But then found out about what can happen if not done properly, decided to get the factory unit and not take any chances. Sometimes saving a few $$$ is not worth the risk, especially when safety is involved.;)

/ PHD and Hydraulic top link????
Interesting,,,,, what i was thinking was a bracket that would connect to the 3pt hitch upper bracket. This bracket would lift the top link about 18" higher than the main bracket, Then weld a bracket on the phd.

I wasn't thinking to use this as the main digging just as a little extra umhp.

I didn't realize they had factory kits for this i will look into that to.

Tks Shane

/ PHD and Hydraulic top link???? #7  
Here is a pic of mine. All Land Pride stuff.

Attachments

• PB040025.JPG
    PB040025.JPG
    104.1 KB · Views: 341
   / PHD and Hydraulic top link????
Thanks for the posts guys that has been a big help. Shane