Photos of small projects done to my JD4200

/ Photos of small projects done to my JD4200 #1  

mjncad

Tractor
A couple
At the following link are photo albums of small projects I've done to modify my 2001 JD 4200 and its attachments.

Picasa Web Albums - Matt

I would have used the Tractor by Net photo gallery feature; but for some reason it won't let me post to it. TBN is stumped by the problem too; so when technology fails us in one way, find a work around.

At least I learned something from 24 long years in the engineering racket as a piping/mechanical CADD designer.

/ Photos of small projects done to my JD4200 #2  
The trick with all those "photo bucket" places is the URL link is 3 lines long. You have to right click on the fullsize pic and select "properties" and the copy the URL (drag the mouse down to highlite all 3 lines) and paste it in your post in between image tags. "
DSC01149.JPG
" and then delete the end of address just up to the .JPG for the google site.
"
DSC01149.JPG
"
DSC01149.JPG

Now if you could send me a full set of burn templates for a 72" HD bucket we'll call it even.

Nice work by the way. Keep posting.

/ Photos of small projects done to my JD4200 #3  
Excellent work on your mods. Very professional. Best thing it is green;)

/ Photos of small projects done to my JD4200
Thanks all for the kind words. I try to make the stuff look as decent as I can while still being functional.

I'm hoping to pick up the hitch cover for the bucket lift this week from the powder coater along with a couple of other parts related to Bambi's maintenance needs. I was going to buy a generic hitch cover for the bucket lift; but all Checker & Autozone had were third brake light hitch covers that would get creamed the moment a rock hit it. Ace had a nice generic cover; but it was plastic, and would have lasted as long as the third brake light units would have. So I whipped up a quick cover from scraps. I'll update my photo albums once I get the stuff back from the powder coater and finished.

As for templates...they are all in my head on these, I just winged it. All the work was done with a Grizzly horizontal and Wilton 14" vertical band-saws, a Jet 17" drill press, a Bosch 4-1/2" angle grinder, a Delta 10" bench grinder and the Miller 210 MIG welder. The bucket lift device was my second welding project that I have completed. The last time I picked up a welder of any kind was when Nixon was president and I was in Junior High.

I don't know what is wrong with the TBN photo gallery in my case. The cookies are enabled, yet the "Upload Photos" link is just dumb text, and when I try to logon it tells me I don't exist, yet it says I exist when I try to register. Yet I can post pictures as attachments in the discussion boards. Go figure?

/ Photos of small projects done to my JD4200 #5  
Matt,
Very nice work.
It looks like your 420 loader has a bucket position rod on it. Did it come that way? I would love to get some photos and dimensions of it if possible.
I have a 4300 with a 420 loader.
Best Regards,
James

JamesH:

My FEL came from the factory with the bucket position indicator. I'm surprised yours didn't. I'll try and get some dimensions for you this weekend and post them for you, since it sounds like you inclined to build your own.

I just checked JD's online parts index for the 420 loader and they don't have any parts there for it. It might be worth contacting your Deere dealer and see how much they want for the bucket indicator.

/ Photos of small projects done to my JD4200 #7  
Would you consider building and selling me one of those bucket attachments for my 4010? It would be good practice for you. :D

Rick, I'm flattered and if I had an outbuilding to house a PlasmaCam or ShopSabre I would consider making the bucket gadgets for sale. I also would need a milling machine to make slotted holes in the angle stiffeners to accommodate varying bucket widths.

The toughest part was drilling the 9/16" holes in the 1/8" bucket steel. My Milwaukee 18V cordless hammer drill did the work; but I had a workout getting leverage to get the drill bit to bite into the steel. The worst was the vertical sides. The next toughest part was cutting the taper on the top rib. The nice thing about steel is that its toughness makes it easier to follow a straight line with the band saw; however that toughness also makes the material feed through the blade significantly slower than wood.

I saw a few photos on this web site where a guy permanently mounted a winch to the back side of his bucket. He did a nice job; but if he had a 2" receiver on his bucket, he could own one expensive winch and transfer it from his pickup truck to his tractor and so forth. Now if only I had a need for a winch.

Thanks for your interest in my small projects.

I've added the hitch cover photos to the bucket lift device photo album.