Picking a first tractor

/ Picking a first tractor #21  
I know it gets asked here alot, but every property has different needs/concerns, so here it goes.

we live in 5+ ac in a wooded property, lots of holly trees need to go, with lots of blackbery bushes, short volunteer brushes around the taller trees. We live in pac nw. I am considering either a sub compact like the Massey gc1715 (about 1700 lbs), or should i stick with a heavier kubota L3410, but about 5-6k more.
My two cents follow. I own two tractors and one backhoe. My first tractor, a Ford 9N, has a transmission that can only be shifted with the tractor stopped. That means coming to a full stop to shift into reverse . My second buy was a Case 580CK backhoe. Though it has the same type transmission as the Ford it also has a feature called a "Shuttle Shift". The Shuttle Shift is a second transmission combined with a torque converter. The first transmission feeds the Shuttle Shift. It doesn't change speeds but does allow shifting from forward to reverse without clutching or coming to a complete stop. This is a HUGE advantage when moving dirt, or any operation that requires any sort of even infrequent reversing. Did I say HUGE? My third tractor, a Yanmar YM2310, which I bought less than 6 months ago, has two transmissions. The first is a 5 speed without reverse. It requires the tractor to be stopped before shifting. But this transmission feeds into a second 3 speed transmission with reverse. This means 15 forward and 5 reverse speeds. This particular setup is called "Power Shift". The second transmission has hydraulically actuated wet clutches so all you need to do to change speeds is to move the shifter lever. Though the shifting is not as smooth as the Shuttle Shift it doesn't have the slippage of a torque converter. My Case is able to push harder at higher RPM because all the power is going through a torque converter. The Yanmar transmission is not RPM sensitive. The torque converter also uses horsepower, while the wet disc clutches do not. Both the Case and the Yanmar have front end loaders while the Ford does not. On my 10 acres, of which most is wooded, I still find a front end loader so useful I would not buy another tractor without one. I bought my Yanmar to replace the Ford for several reasons, but the front bucket was a must no matter which tractor I was gonna buy. The Yanmar is a little smaller than the Ford but has a little more horsepower. For my uses it is the best size. Though I would like sometimes a bigger bucket the smaller size makes it much more maneuverable than a larger machine. And I would rather make a few more trips than have a machine that I constantly need to worry about hitting things because if the size. I know about this worry because of my backhoe. It is so long I constantly have to watch out. I bought the backhoe just to put in my septic system so that we could move into our new house. When we had our house built there was a building boom going on and though the house was complete there was a 6 month wait for any of the reputable septic installers to do the job. I found the Case for sale for 5 grand, which was a really good price at the time here on the island. So I bought the backhoe even though I had never even sat on one. It was old and beat but worked well. And since the county allowed folks to install their own septic systems, even people like me who had zero experience with septic systems and backhoes, to install their own system, I bought the backhoe. Though the perfect size to do the septic installation the backhoe is really too big for my place most of the time. It seems to me that if buying one machine get one that will do 90 percent of what you will be using it for during the years to come and hire out or rent any specialized machines. If I was shopping for another tractor today it would require a front end loader, and some sort of clutchless reversing, be it a Shuttle Shift, Power Shift, Hydrostatic Transmission, or equivalent. I hope some of my experience will help you make a decision.
Good Luck,
Eric

/ Picking a first tractor #22  
Five acres I think it is more a matter of how fast you want to get the work done than it is how big of a tractor do you need. A 25HP tractor can get the job done on five acres, just might take a minute. Upkeep could absolutely be done with a small tractor.

/ Picking a first tractor #23  
I would rent the bulldozer. When else are you going to get to rent and run a bulldozer? Just the shear fun of it, is justification. :)

/ Picking a first tractor #24  
Sitting at my desk, the Ford appears to be in excellent condition for $7,000.

You will need to learn hydraulic repairs long before you need an engine repair.

For working over the blackberries with destruction the goal, consider a Ratchet Rake bucket attachment to tear Blackberries down in manageable segments, then mow prostrate vines. Spray inevitable sprouts with Gordon's (brand) "Brush Killer" from Tractor Supply Company (TSC).

Jeff, thanks for weighing in on this. I was not sure as to what recommendations should be made about how the tractor should be equipped for clearing holly groves and blackberry bushes. I took a look at that Ratchet Rake and was amazed at the effectiveness of it. I learn something new everyday on this site.

/ Picking a first tractor
I am looking at a 33 hp kubota b3200, 4wd, 1700 lbs. Wheelbase 65”.

would it be maneuverable between a grove of trees 15’ apart, on an uneven slope?

/ Picking a first tractor #27  
The L3301 is about the same on HP and wheelbase but gives you 1000 lbs more weight for stability.

Comparables for the 3301 would be the Branson 3515, LS 235E, TYM 394, Kioti CK3510, JD 3035, MF 1835, CIH 35A, NH WM35T4B and Bobcat CT2040..Of those, only the Kioti is lighter than the 3301. All are between 53.5" and 67.5" wide..plenty of space for 15' wide tree spacing.

IMHO, any of these would do better on the tasks you describe than a b3200. Only real advantage I can see in that would be price and lack of emissions.

/ Picking a first tractor #28  
I am looking at a 33 hp kubota b3200, 4wd, 1700 lbs. Wheelbase 65”.

would it be maneuverable between a grove of trees 15’ apart, on an uneven slope?

I owned and operated a B3300 SU for several years, the same tractor without the mid-PTO.

This a light tractor on tall wheels/tires. Not the most stable platform, even with liquid filled ("loaded") rear tires. A neophyte operator could easily get into trouble doing loader work on uneven slopes. SAFETY FIRST. Tractors can kill you. For non-Loader work on 1-6 flat/level acres a prudent operator would find a B3200 a suitable machine.

Selling a used tractor is easy. Selling multiple light implements in order to buy heavier, wider implements for a new, heavier tractor requires a lot of time. Depreciation on implements is worse than depreciation on a tractor.

When considering a tractor purchase bare tractor weight first, tractor horsepower second, rear axle width third, rear wheel/tire ballast fourth.

Plenty maneuverable if the 15' spaced trees do not have branches encroaching from both sides. You need 6' wide clear path down the middle.

BUY ENOUGH TRACTOR​

Last edited:
   / Picking a first tractor #29  
The ford is 4x4, with fel, about 400 hrs. I will need to learn on how to wrench an old diesel.
Looks nice. If you are the kind of guy who changes his own oil, I'd say jump on it. Those Fords were and still are dandy tractors. Several people on this list own them and I've driven them myself. Older gear drive compact tractors are the financial "sweet spot" for tractors right now.

A good old gear tractor with 400 hrs is unlikely to need any repair. You can expect any used tractor to need attention to maintenance items.
rScotty

/ Picking a first tractor #30  
I have a geared MF1528. A HST tractor would have been fine but this tractor was a great price. I do not mind gears as I grew up operating geared 2wd ag tractors. Even so HST is great for loader work.
For consideration in tractor size… you are going to need 3 pt implements to accomplish various tasks. Used implements for subcompacts may be more difficult to find than used implements for larger frame tractors. Give some thought to implements needed to accomplish your tasks and check out costs of new versus used.