Pics of Our Vacation to South Dakota

/ Pics of Our Vacation to South Dakota #21  
Happy anniversary, Eddie, and thanks for the photo tour. It sounds like Steph's work schedule and your being sefl-employed really contribute to being able to plan and take these nice trips.

/ Pics of Our Vacation to South Dakota
Jim,

The first time I went to Cabelas, I had the same feeling. It was the most amazing store I'd ever been to. Still is!!!!

We didnt' go to Mitchell, or even heard of it. Guess it didn't register on us that it was a place to visit from the travel brochures we had.

If you want to see allot of elk and some really massive bulls, then Yellowstone in September is one of the very best. Banf in Alberta is another good one. The elk are in full rut by the middle of the month and it will last until the end of the month. They don't care who's around, just in keeping the cows under control and other bulls away from there harem. They are buggleing non stop and very active. One time I had a big 6x6 bull come across a creek right at us while chasing a cow. We got out of his way and he just kept going like we were part of the landscape. He was only ten feet away when he passed. I'm not afraid of wildlife, but that was a little close!!!!

The really hot spots will be full of profesional photographers as this is where allot of elk pics for magazines and calenders come from. If you know what a 400 class bull is, then you'll appreciate that the oportunity to see one exists there.

Nat,

Thanks for the pics. It's amazing to see your duelly in that tunnel!!! Steph was nervous when we drove her explorer through there, she said there's no way she could have rode in the truck if we drove through. She'd be out in front making sure we didn't hit. Did Vickie guide you through?

Did you see any bighorns, mt goats or elk? The elk were a big suprise for us to see as in four trips there, that was the first time to see them in the park for me. I've seen bighorn sheep there before, but never the mt goats. With all the bikers riding around, we didnt' expect to see them, so that made the elk sitings even more exciting!!! Of course, getting up early and spending hours driving the gravel roads really slow made a huge difference in what we saw.

We try not to be critical of others, but it's amazing how fast people drive around the park looking for animals and never see any, or they see very few. We don't miss much, and tell others what we saw and where. Poeple were very friendly, but everyone we talked to all said the same thing, they weren't seeing very many animals. Most blamed the bikers, but that was only a small part of it, the animals are there, they are just hanging out just inside the treeline and out in the open early in the morning and late at night. One of the elk we spotted was less then 100 yards from the horse camp. Nobody saw him and said they hadn't seen any elk at all. They just didn't look. hahaha

weldingisfun,

Thank you. It's fun taking the pics, but even more fun sharing them.

Jim,

We have it pretty good with Steph's schedule and me being self employed. Just not having to stress over when we can take off or plan things together is very nice. Of course, she's treated very well by her doctor and he's very appreciative of what she does.

Eddie

/ Pics of Our Vacation to South Dakota #24  
Nice Album. Glad you had a good time. I've benefited from many of your post. Glad you both had a safe trip.

/ Pics of Our Vacation to South Dakota #25  
Happy anniversary Ed & Steph. Thanks for sharing those wonderful pictures. I've never been past Chicago but would love to see what your pictures show first hand. EL.

/ Pics of Our Vacation to South Dakota #26  
Great pics, really enjoyed them!

What kind of camera are you using, and do you know why the "Badlands" landscape is the way it is?

/ Pics of Our Vacation to South Dakota
coopers,

Thank you.

yekrut,

Thank you.

elalexander,

Thank you.

We've never been to Chicago, but are thinking about it for next year. There is a train depot here that goes there, and then another train that goes to the Bob Marshal Wilderness in Montana that we saw a show about on the Travel Channel. It looks like a real neat trip, so that's one of our options that we're thinking of for next year.

idabe,

Thank you.

Her camera is a Cannon S2. Before we bought it, I started this thread asking for advice on what to buy http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/related-topics/78629-camcorder-pictures.html

We're very happy with the camera and highly recomend it.

From what I understand, the Badlands were formed by wind and water erosion. What's really cool is they are one of the best places in the world for finding fossils. There was a lady at one of the vistor centors with a bunch of them that we got to handle who puts on a presention every hour.

Here's a few links for more information if you're curious.

Badlands National Park - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Geology

Eddie

/ Pics of Our Vacation to South Dakota #28  
Whew, time flies; especially as you get older. When I first saw mention of an anniversary, I thought you were talking about a couple of months.:eek: Hard to believe it's been a year. Happy Anniversary!

We aren't nearly the photograpers that you two are, and of course during our traveling days we were using an old 35 mm Nikon film camera, but we've been lucky enough to visit most (but not all) the places you mentioned. And yep, we sure got to hear the elk bugling in Banf, and saw, but did not hear, lots of them in Yellowstone.

/ Pics of Our Vacation to South Dakota #29  
great pictures Eddie the wilderness there looks breathtaking. Thanks for posting.

/ Pics of Our Vacation to South Dakota #30  
Eddie how long did it take you to get up there? We left on Fri. AM and pulled into Keystone the next Wed noon, coarse we toured a distillery and a couple wineries and the Corn Palace in Mitchell before we got to Keystone.
Did you spend much time at the Wichata Mountain NWP? We have been there a couple times and love it. Where else can you see Bison in the campground?
I guess ya'll walked around Devil's Tower? I was amazed at the size of some of the broken off flutes from the tower, some were 25-30 foot across. Wher you look up at it , it's easy to see where the old Indian legend of a bear clawing, trying to get up came from. Once you see how big some of the "scratches" are up close it's humbling. Later, Nat

Attachments

• IMG005_0003.jpg
    IMG005_0003.jpg
    348.8 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG004_0003.jpg
    IMG004_0003.jpg
    342.3 KB · Views: 186