Snow Equipment Owning/Operating Pictures of your snow weapons

/ Pictures of your snow weapons #6,161  
Fun day today in the driveway we had gotten about 3-5" of snow then it rained trees and everything picked up about a 1/4" of ice then it warmed up enough to just rain,
so I waited for it to quit then went to start scraping the slush of the driveway.
It was cold enough that the driveway is still froze hard and it froze the slush about 2" thick.
Actually spun the tires with the studded euro chains a couple of times.
Then after I had scrapped the whole thing 3 or 4 times wasn't getting much more to peel up so loaded the sander and started sanding,
almost went back and put the front chains on but with the diff lock in she walked right up with a half load in the sander,
used half going down then the second half coming back up as the sander favors the left side as its sanding. So I go down on the right
side of the driveway and back up on the left and it gets it a good coat. Put it down a bit heavy today so used almost a yard of sand.
If I just give it a light coat I can get by with a good half a yard.
These nuisance storms (1-3") are as much work as a moderate storm (6-12") I have to clean my driveway for all of them or then pack down to ice
which is not nice on a hill.

/ Pictures of your snow weapons #6,162  
We got about an inch and a half of "nuisance" here Lou, sleet. It was like plowing coarse sugar but I wanted to get it off before it either consolidates into ice, or turn into slush, sure don't trust what "they" say. These days I don't even bother listening to the weather anymore, what's the use.

/ Pictures of your snow weapons #6,163  
Well Tuesday didn't go to plan. We were all ready for 10 to 12 inches of heavy snow. Instead we got 4" of concrete mix followed by a little rain and drizzle. But it felt like 10 to 12 moving it. Wonder what Friday will bring. Our weather man is struggling more than normal this year.

gg

That storm was double the work and with over night low temps those that didn't remove the snow going to be in for real treat.

WCAX 3 weather pretty darn close calling the weather for us also TBN'er Buppies. :thumbsup:

/ Pictures of your snow weapons #6,164  
Through the night and morning it had rained/sleeted maybe 3", with temp hovering around 32*.

By mid-day it stopped and temp hit 34*.

I went out to plow off the 3" of slush mix just as the temp started to fall...and it went down fast! 4 degrees out there now!!

By the time I was done with mine and two neighbors, slush plowed when I started was frozen solid. I think if I had started 30 minutes later, it would have been a frozen mess like Mr. Lou described.

Back when I was working, I would clear snow before work, or after work, as time permitted.

Retired now, so timing is less critical...but sure need to be sensitive to temperature when it's in that freeze/thaw range!!!

/ Pictures of your snow weapons #6,165  
These were my previous weapons (but will see some use, not as much though): A 1995 26" MTD Snowblower and a 2008 Polaris 800 EFI ATV with a 60" plow. All bought brand new.

9CzjvQ3.jpg

They have been succeeded by this 68" Snow blower (brand new) on my 2010 (new to me) Kioti LK30.

uGDqPqC.jpg

/ Pictures of your snow weapons #6,167  
So how is your LK30 handling a 68" snow blower? I used to think that my 4410 had lots of power for a 59" front mount. It does until you get into really heavy wet snow. Then I can use all the 4410 (35 engine) has.

I really like the looks of that blower. It's well designed.

Last edited:
   / Pictures of your snow weapons #6,168  
Bet you're a happy guy:thumbsup:
Nice step up.

Thanks. I was a bit concerned about blowing 1000' with a the rear facing blower (the LK30 doesn't have a mid PTO) but I just swivel in my seat and my head is not even at 90 degrees. Blowing is slow enough that turning facing backward wasn't even an issue.

So how is your LK30 handling a 68" snow blower? I used to think that my 4410 had lots of power for a 59" front mount. It does until you get into really wet heavy snow. Then I can use all the 4410 has. I really like the looks of that blower. It's well designed.

The merit goes to my dealer, he's the one that suggested that blower :) The blower is rated for 20-30HP PTOs. My LK30 has a 23HP PTO. It didn't even notice the snow (which wasn't heavy), even while going up a 8% grade hill (for about 80 feet) or through the packed 12"+ snowbank.

/ Pictures of your snow weapons #6,169  
   / Pictures of your snow weapons #6,170  
Seen more doesn't mean I look forward to it and I have equipment to handle it.