Pine cones everywhere! Any automated pickup ideas?

/ Pine cones everywhere! Any automated pickup ideas? #11  
I think that I saw it on Facebook: it was a drag horse manure 'scoop' which may suit your purpose. Pinecones are about the same size as horse 'droppings'.

They're light enough to be towed by a lawn tractor, Z-turn or such.

I just Googled "drag horse manure scoop" and a couple of examples showed up.

/ Pine cones everywhere! Any automated pickup ideas? #12  

Bruce
Good going bcp. The rakes weren't plastic after all. It's been a while since I've seen that photo. It's one of those things that visits my mind often even though I have no need of one.

Last edited:
   / Pine cones everywhere! Any automated pickup ideas? #13  
1680865077018.jpeg

/ Pine cones everywhere! Any automated pickup ideas? #14  
We have half dozen large pines which produces lot cones,the easy way I found good back pack blower blow cones down over the bank...or on to tarp.

/ Pine cones everywhere! Any automated pickup ideas? #15  
Friend of mine has a LOT of pine trees. He got a pull behind lawn sweeper. 2 wheels on the front, big catch bag on the back, and a rotating brush between the front wheels. He says it does a great job.

/ Pine cones everywhere! Any automated pickup ideas? #16  
The sweeper is great. Backpack k blower Stihl 850 will blow and roll 3" gravel if you get down on it. Blower is good for city jobs and confined spaces.

My favorite though would be a pinestraw rake. I have raked the straw and pine cones for many years using my x749 deere mower with 3 ph. An advantage of using these round tine rakes is the tines do not clog up the way a hand rake does. Pick up the rake and it will rise cleared of needles. One pass with a pine straw rake and you are done in most cases.

Available from Everything Attachments in 5 or 6' lengths.

/ Pine cones everywhere! Any automated pickup ideas? #17  
1st world problems. You won't be worried about pine cones in a few months!

Last edited:
  • Good Post
Reactions: Lnk
   / Pine cones everywhere! Any automated pickup ideas? #18  
1st world problems. You won't be worried about pine cones in a few months!
The pinecone apocalypse is coming! The pinecone apocalypse is coming!

/ Pine cones everywhere! Any automated pickup ideas? #19  
Raking isn't ideal here because they often fall in areas I prefer not to disturb too much (not lawn; thin soil on a slope).

I bought one of these a few years ago in an attempt to not have to bend over so much in picking mine up.
It works ok; I have a wheelbarrow nearby, use a child's leaf rake to get 10-15 pine cones, dump into the wheelbarrow, repeat, then dump the barrow out to the burn pile.
Ideally the scoop would be twice the size it is. The pine cones tend to fall out of it when there's more than 10 because they're so light they don't interlock well.
View attachment 793887
Yes I bought one of these for my wife couple years ago and she loves it for raking up pine cones. That's her thing I don't mess with them I would just mow them

/ Pine cones everywhere! Any automated pickup ideas? #20  
We have half dozen large pines which produces lot cones,the easy way I found good back pack blower blow cones down over the bank...or on to tarp.

I agree with the blower, I have the BR600 Stihl.
Last weekend, I was blowing leaves from around the shrubs (stone mulch)

I could easily blow the downed 1" diameter branches along with the leaves.
Blowing the branches into a pile made removal much easier.

If I can move 1" branches that are 1 to 2 feet long, a pine cone would be easy to move.

Actually, I could separate the leaves from the sticks,,
The leaves were blown into the woods, the pile of sticks were picked up