Pine Mulch

/ Pine Mulch #11  
We cut down a bunch of very large white pines (in Western Mass). The trunks that were straight went to the sawmill, but had little value really because white pine is so soft. We ended up with a huge pile of wood chips (all the branches went through a the chipper), which we are now using to create woodland paths and also as using as garden mulch around shrubs and flower beds. One of the benefits of mulch is that it inhibits the propagation weeds and other unwanted plants. For this reason it will make a poor choice to use as a substrate for starting a lawn. Topsoil is what is needed. One bright spot is that over time the huge pile of chips is shrinking as it gradually turns into compost.

/ Pine Mulch #12  
I Could do with all that mulch

I purchase large quantitys of the stuff. Pile it high and let it break down. I use a compost activator to get the breaking down process on the go and leave it for a year or two. It turns into the most wonderful mulch. One has to have the space though and a good source of heat (from the sun) /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

Pity im so far away we could have swopped for some top soil

Cheers

Siphoxolo
South Africa

/ Pine Mulch #13  
Nice mill. I've seen a unit.. can't remember where.. but was from norhtern or something.. looked great too.. set the saw up on the rigging it uses.. and then get a set of log rollers and go.

Soundguy