Pine stand

/ Pine stand #1  

RJJR

Gold Member
Tractor
2011 Kioti DK45 HST
Gentlemen,
I recently inherited about 30 acres of land that has about a 7 acre stand of 20 year old pines. it has been pretty much neglected and needs lots of work . Specifically, I'm looking advice on cleaning up the pines first, they were thinned once and have understory and debris between them. I bush hogged the big stuff but still have plenty of work to do to get to the needles which I'd like to sell. Any feedback on the best way to get rid of the limbs, hardwood debris etc. From the floor so I can get to the clean needles?
Thanks

/ Pine stand #2  
Could you try to sell some of the wood or would you want too ?
Also watch out for those dog garn COPPERHEADS ! :(

Just trying to help.

Boone

/ Pine stand
bullbreaker said:
Could you try to sell some of the wood or would you want too ?
Also watch out for those dog garn COPPERHEADS ! :(

Just trying to help.

Boone

Thanks...they need a bit more growth. Was looking to get it ready to try and sell a little of the straw. Thanks.

/ Pine stand #4  
Best way to clean up limbs and get rid of hardwood would be to spray herbicide, Aresonal, which is the trade name but your looking for Imazypur (spelling) which is the active ingrediant in it. It will not harm pine but kills grasses and hardwoods, when foliart applied and is soil active whcih means the roots on larger things will take it up, will continue working for around 6 months. I would spray in the summer then burn it the following winter. You will clean up most of that stuff.

Since you said they were thinned, that was my first suggestion, but if they were planted, and then thinned at the say 16 year mark, which i have no idea where you are, but is the common mark here in the south, then you are close to your second thinning which should be in the 21-25 year range.

I think this is good advice for the limited stuff i have read.

Oh Pine straw in this area has taken a huge hit and fallen way off in price to the early 00's when the housing market was going gangbusters. Its still worth big $$. Only way its worth if its longleaf and maybe slash? If you have one of these i would honetly suggest pushing the second thinning out as far as possible. Also some pinestraw companies will do multi year leases on your land. Basically if you have good ground trees and potential you can see upwards of $150/acre a year for them to rake on it a specified amount of times per year (should be in contract, in my opinion). They will inturn fertilize and do hardwood control which will be mechanical then herbicide treatments, which are usually spot treatments with a backpack.

Take this for what its worth. Though i am a practicing forester that also dabbled in pinstraw economics for my graduate degree and i also hold a herbicide applicators license.

/ Pine stand
clemsonfor said:
Best way to clean up limbs and get rid of hardwood would be to spray herbicide, Aresonal, which is the trade name but your looking for Imazypur (spelling) which is the active ingrediant in it. It will not harm pine but kills grasses and hardwoods, when foliart applied and is soil active whcih means the roots on larger things will take it up, will continue working for around 6 months. I would spray in the summer then burn it the following winter. You will clean up most of that stuff.

Since you said they were thinned, that was my first suggestion, but if they were planted, and then thinned at the say 16 year mark, which i have no idea where you are, but is the common mark here in the south, then you are close to your second thinning which should be in the 21-25 year range.

I think this is good advice for the limited stuff i have read.

Oh Pine straw in this area has taken a huge hit and fallen way off in price to the early 00's when the housing market was going gangbusters. Its still worth big $$. Only way its worth if its longleaf and maybe slash? If you have one of these i would honetly suggest pushing the second thinning out as far as possible. Also some pinestraw companies will do multi year leases on your land. Basically if you have good ground trees and potential you can see upwards of $150/acre a year for them to rake on it a specified amount of times per year (should be in contract, in my opinion). They will inturn fertilize and do hardwood control which will be mechanical then herbicide treatments, which are usually spot treatments with a backpack.

Take this for what its worth. Though i am a practicing forester that also dabbled in pinstraw economics for my graduate degree and i also hold a herbicide applicators license.

Thanks for the advice. Will certainly look into some these ideas.
Thanks RJ